A123 Systems M1 cells are now available

BigBoy

Enlightened
I noticed that the A123 systems cells are available direct at 6 cells for $129 or 12 cells for $220.

http://www.buya123systems.com/prdeki.html

I am hoping that some of you pioneers will find a way to use these in high power flashlights. I have been holding out for a "C" size flashlight with only a couple of cells - that can compete with the popular "D" size mag mods. These cells should make that possible.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting....

These are a much bigger size then AW's protected 18650...

an A123 would be something like 26650...
(26 being dia in mm, 65 height in mm)

Let's compare:
18650 3.6v 2200mAH - $ 12 (Protected)
A123 M1 3.3v 2300mAH - $ 22.... (ea)

Just my 2ct's...

link to AW's cells: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97268
You should check it out...

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
and is inherently safe due to its use of patented nanophosphate technology.

:thinking:

Quoted from the spec sheet.

I'm not up on all li-ion tech, so maybe someone could clue me in on why this shouldn't scare me.

-DF

larryk

Enlightened
It would be more cost effective to just buy a Dewalt 36 volt battery pack for around $ 140.00 and remove the 10 cells from the pack. These batteries will output a lot more current than any 18650 battery. The problem is they can't be charged with conventional Li-Po chargers.

Last edited:

flex76italy

Enlightened
larryk said:
It would be more cost effective to just buy a Dewalt 36 volt battery pack for around $ 140.00 and remove the 10 cells from the pack. These batteries will output a lot more current than any 18650 battery. The problem is they can't be charged with conventional Li-Po chargers.

Larry, but in Dewalt 36 volt battery pack are the molicel batteries?

larryk

Enlightened
The Molicels are used in the Milwaukee V28 battery pack. The Molicel is 3 amp hour and can be charged with existing Li-Po chargers.

missionaryman

Enlightened
larryk said:
does the dewalt use the same A123 cells?
they're a bit low on the capacity - the molicel 26650's are better in this instance

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I just ordered a kit. these things promise to be a lot safer than present LiIon when used in series. Watch the vid of the "nail penetration test." The spec sheet says max continuous discharge current is 70A!! :faint: My Maxabeam is going to shed some pounds! Where's Newbie when you need him?

Larry

Luna

Enlightened
Finally! I almost bought a dewalt setupt just to rip the batteries!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! :)
I am working on my HA-III bored 2D Mag for AWR's upcoming BAM! 4 Luxeon K2 drop-in module and three 3.3V A123 Systems cells would be perfect. A 9.9V 3C that I can a rubber sleeve to cushion it from vibration damage. This will need a new charger so hopefully A123 Systems can get a company to build one specifically for their cells. The 9.9V 2.3AH pack would give me two hours of runtime if the K2 has low enough forward voltage.
It would be very light with the M1 batteries although the cost would be rather eye opening.

*Retired*
Swell, these suckers are finally making it to market.

I talked about them a bit here on cpf, some time ago:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101540

I've been waiting for them to get here for awhile, their marketing information looks good, but marketing information is marketing information.

Got a link to the designers guidelines or anything, I can't find nothing, besides marketing speak and a sketchy datasheet, but alot of their claims and videos look quite promising.

The theory looks promising, and the videos look great.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I just "notified" the Mod's that this thread might get better exposure in the "batteries included" section. It looks like safer chemistries are starting to get here and we should benefit. It may be a few years before it sees CR2 formfactor, but looks "idiot-resistant" wrt overcharge and short circuit conditions.

Larry

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

Does anyone has some new information about these batts?

I have heard a bit about them from RC guys. Their energy density is not the greatest, but they are a lot safer than Lipo for example and... and... and... you can recharge them like in 15 minutes. Also, they seem to be extremely abuse resistant and can be used right out of the charger, and recharged right out of the thing that is using it.

Has anyone investigated?

Nebula

Enlightened
Hey all,

Does anyone has some new information about these batts?

I have heard a bit about them from RC guys. Their energy density is not the greatest, but they are a lot safer than Lipo for example and... and... and... you can recharge them like in 15 minutes. Also, they seem to be extremely abuse resistant and can be used right out of the charger, and recharged right out of the thing that is using it.

Has anyone investigated?

Check with Milkyspit. He is working on a few lights using the A123.