maglite 2C - strange switch problem.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just bought two maglite 2C, I already have an 3D and 6D.

the 2C switch feels completely different.

the switch is very soft and you have to press it quit hard all the way down for it to click.

the 2D and 6D, switches are a lot harder and you only have to press them slightley for them to click.

is this normal.

thanks.

dim

Enlightened
Interesting -

The difference in my 2D and 2C is exactly as you described. The firmer switch on my 2D is easier to manage than the very soft switch of my 2C. Also, the switch on my six month old 2C sports a ram's head that the switch of my one year old 2D does not - if that makes any kind of difference - perhaps indicating the lot or series of the switch.

dim

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed tha same soft switch on my new 2C's (just got last week). But I don't have to press hard to get them to click, just press a little further than my decade old 2D & 3D. I think they are easier to press to click.
They have the ram's head on the switch covers.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Mag-Lites made since 1990 have the ram's head on the bezel ring. The switch was changed to cheaper to manufacture design at that time. I don't notice much of a difference between the two as far as clicking goes.

Find a local Mag distributor and see if it's covered by the warranty.

pizzaman

Enlightened
In a recent thread I recall reading that the new switch in the 2c maglights actually had a lower electrical resistance than the standard 3D+ maglights. I believe it had to do with mag mods, but don't recall the specific thread.

I picked up several of the 2c lights lately for conversion to mag-led and 3x123 cells with 6 cell magnumstar bulbs. I also noticed how soft the switches on the 3c felt. If they are mechanically sound and actually have a lower electrical resistance, this may be a good thing.

Maybe this will jog someone's memory.

Good luck, TR

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
all my maglite`s have the ram's head, mabe theirs a different switch in the C model compared to the D because of the size difference.

I have never had one apart to find out.

but it was quite a shock when your use to the feel of the D`s switch, I thought it was faulty.

regards.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a recent thread I recall reading that the new switch in the 2c maglights actually had a lower electrical resistance than the standard 3D+ maglights.

The C-cell Maglite switches have a larger contact area. Picture this, two contacts located on opposite sides of a disk. When you click the switch on and off the disk flops up and down (linearly) to make the contact. The contact disk is silver plated. I like the C-cell Maglite switch assemblies a lot in terms of engineering and ease of modding.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did Mag not change the C-cell switches? I only have old ones. The D-cell lights used to have the raising/rotating disk, but they were replaced by the lousy ring cartridge switch they use now.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the "D" Maglites I have purchased since joining this board (which wasn't too long ago) have the ring cartridge.

All of the "C" Maglites I have purchased use the rotating disk.