Throw: High: 2032 [45.08]
Overall: Low: 520 [5.20]
Overall: High: 5750 [57.50]
Battery: 2 x 123A
Runtime: <1 hour incan
Weight: 4 oz
Cost: $195

Other than the greater intensity on overall output, slightly heavier [2+ oz]
It seems that the Streamlight outperforms the Surefire A2 by several aspects.

Any opinions on either lights?

SCblur

Enlightened
One big selling point for the A2 in my book is it's small size. A great light is no good if you don't end up using it, and i usually don't use lights that aren't easy to carry on my person. Also, if you don't want the advantages of a regulated 'incan', then definitely go for a regulated LED, way more to choose from. The incan however, gives you better throw and color rendition outdoors. I believe the A2 is such a useful and versatile tool 'because' of the two different types of light.

Your needs and desires may vary for sure, and if you like the SL for your purposes, go for it. The price is certainly nicer. For me personally though, I'm someone who won't hesitate to pay a premium for smaller size, better quality, etc.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I prefer the Surefire A2 and L2 because of the switch and the hard anodizing. They also meet my needs as to flood and throw.

However the conductor that I work with much prefers the Streamlight 2L 3W. He is not a CPF member, but he lurks here regularly. I called him and told him about this thread and suggested he join and post. Lets hope he does because he has a lot of experience with the 2L 3W and a lot of other lights. He's busy installing a door at the moment.

He has or has had a few Surefires (P6, P9, 9AN, 8N), Streamlights and MiniMag mods, etc. He has also tried out several of my Surefire lights (A2, L2, L1, E2E, E2L, L4, L5, U2, L6, C3, SRTH/D3, M3, M3T, M4, M6, etc). His favorites are the Streamlight 2L 3W and a MiniMag/MadMax Lite/Fraen Low Profile Optics with NiMH batteries.

Part of his job requires inspecting brakes under rail cars which requires more throw than what you would need for walking and coupling cars together which requires seenig as far as possible. He frequently uses his lights for four hours a night with constant runtimes of two or more hours at a time.

His runtime needs rule out a lot of lights and his brightness needs combined with his runtime needs seem to require a light with more than one level of out put.

The Streamlight 2L 3W meets his needs as no Surefire can. I'm sure if Surefire made a light that had the same beam and runtimes he would buy it due to Surefire having hard anodizing. He is very pleased with his Streamlight 2L 3W and like a lot of us he is willing to pay for the best light for his job.

While I prefer the A2 & L2, he prefers the 2L 3W. The bottom line is buy the light that meets your needs or buy both.

edit to add: He usually uses the low beam of his 2L 3W and finds it to be plenty of light for most of his needs.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The stats miss six major significant features.

1) Regulated incandescent main beam: The A2 is unlike any other flashlight - it's regulated incandescent beam is unique and amazing in use.

2) Choice of the LED output. White, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow-Green. This allows for a whole host of applications where coloured output is useful in addition to the main beam.

3) Switching: The A2 features a two-stage push-button pressure switch LockOut TailCap. The switch is located where it can be found quickly without search for it, and where it allows the flashlight to be used far more ergonomically. The switch allows the user to transition between the two output modes simply and quickly by how hard the pressure switch is pressed. The TailCap switch allows the user to disable the flashlight for transportation or storage etc. Additionally, the TailCap switch allows the user to disable the main beam for times when accidently activating it would be undesirable. Additionally, the TailCap switch allows the user to activate the LEDs constant-on and pressing the switch activates the main beam which can be extremely useful from anything from reading a map and illuminating street signs, to illuminating the ground you are walking on and also the path ahead etc.

4) PocketClip: The A2 features a pocketclip which allows the user to carry the A2 easily and securely clipped inside a pocket where it can be accessed quickly.

5) Size and Form: The A2 is slim and light-weight making it ideal for pants (trouser) pockets, jacket pockets etc. The body is shaped to be comfortable to grip and has high quality knurling to enhance grip in cold or wet conditions or when wearing gloves. Additionally, the Hard Anodised finish is extremely durable.

The A2 is easier to use, easier to have on you, and easier to use for a wider range of applications.

Al

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2's 5mm LEDs have a floody beam with more overall output on low. The spot beam of the TT 2L is less useful on low where you need more flood.
I have compared the incan beam of the A2 to several other incans (Brinkmann Maxfire, Mags) and it compares well, throwing as well as lights rated by FLR with far more throw. The Brinkmann has 2x the rated throw, but I could tell little difference besides the shape of the A2's spot is more oval. SF themselves under-rates the A2 incan at 50 lumens when one was tested in an integrating sphere at 79 lumens.
I didn't like the idea of the A2 when I first read about it, but having the best of many different worlds, flood for up close, throw for distance, incan for outdoor depth perception and clarity, regulated like an LED, soft start-up of the bulb for fewer blown bulbs (my biggest concern with incans, though it still hasn't happened to my 16 year old Mag 2D), and the general toughness and lifetime warranty of the SureFire. For all the info on the A2, Read this opus on the A2 written by js.
I think the SL TT2L is a decent light for the money (~$60) and would serve you well if that is what you need. If you need more or flood up close, I see the A2 as a step up. Of course, I didn't pay near $195 for it either.

Last edited:

lightplay22

Enlightened
I own two A2's and two twin task lights and must say that the TT is a very good light for the money and what I use it for--A light that stays in vehicles for use when needed.

As EDC and in and out of the pocket use, the A2 is MUCH easier to use due to the switch and the clip.

Also the incan is superior, especially after some extended use, as the regulation really shines.

TT lights are worth their costs though-solidly built, dependable lights, just in a different class than the A2.

batman

Enlightened
I love the A2 mainly for it's incan capability. most LED's offer lesser clarity, depth perception and color rendition to my eyes,..like looking through night vision goggles.

Illum

Flashaholic
Wow, thanks for the reply's

I can see a tremendous shift in advantage as Surefire continues to crank out products like A2

okay...
I'll find some time to work 30 hours more and buy the A2
$7 an hour...working at the library

greenLED

Flashaholic
Continuing Al's major significant features:

6) The SL is fugly. Some may not agree, but I will not own a light that is not aesthetically pleasing.

I didn't quite get the hoopla over the A2 - now that I own one, I am a believer. A truly versatile light.

Illum-, don't forget the CPF Specials when ordering one!

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A2 is one of the best looking flashlights in my opinion.
The proportions are excellent and pleasing to the eyes.

P33.jpg

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
I love using my A2.

Though I often value function over form, I won't buy a flashlight unless it's aesthetically pleasing to me. The A2 has function and aesthetics going for it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:eek: Al, what's the story behind that A2 "Digital Fusion Series"? Was that the original name of the Digital Plus series or something like that?
:thanks:

Size15's

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
:eek: Al, what's the story behind that A2 "Digital Fusion Series"? Was that the original name of the Digital Plus series or something like that?
:thanks:

Yes, that A2 is a pre-pro sample I had for a 'while' before SureFire released the A2. Although "Fusion" was ideal for the fusion of incandescent and LED in a flashlight I guess SureFire knew they weren't going to do any more as all the other ones in development were LED only (L1, L2 etc) so changing to "Plus" wasn't the end of the World...

Al

CLHC

Flashaholic
The SureFire A2 Aviator is what I'll lean towards. Still don't have one yet and don't know why? :thinking:

railroadray

Newly Enlightened
hi this is the frist time i have posted. I read the threads on sf versus sl. My friend Hoghead tells it like we see it. I nead a light that i can see with. That i do not half to change the batt. every hr. on the hr.. It fits just fine in my pocket and looks pretty. If you need run time and want to see what you are doing, this is the light for you. I wish it was hard anodized, but it seemsto hold up pretty good. It is a work light. And its cheap ! you would have money left over to buy a sf too !