"Urban Combat & White Light" -article

Babo

Newly Enlightened
... in the current edition of the NRA publication, American Rifleman.

Basically, it's about the value of weapons mounted lights for idenifying friend or foe. The article features Surefire brand products. There is also a small
sidebar piece about the .50-BMG mounted Hellfire.

Not surprisingly, there is no/nada/zero mention of lights as weapons.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Babo said:
Not surprisingly, there is no/nada/zero mention of lights as weapons.
Could that be because the NRA realized a light is not a weapon per se? At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the new guns&weapons magazine it has a picture of a 6p with a decent size dent in it the bellet laying beside it looks to be a 22LR slug but it dosent say also surefire replaced it for free it looked pretty old to and it still worked if you see the picture sit and think about how the cop was holding it to get shot in the body of the flaslight by the way the cop lived and shot the suspect

Warp

Enlightened
I don't believe a light in and of itself is much of a weapon.

They do, however, compliment weapons very well.

Almost anything can be used as a weapon. I could pick this computer up and throw it at somebody, or stab them with the pen sitting on the table, or grab the Playstation controller and strangle them with the cord...but that does not make those items weapons.

The SF E2D may be an exception since it was intended to be used as a weapon.

In my opinion, if you choose to use a light as a weapon in and of itself
you had better have a serious/real weapon as backup.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Babo:

There's a reason they didn't mention flashlights as weapons, 'cause they aren't really. I'll share a bit of advice to you and anyone else who thinks a flashlight is a weapon:

Don't bring a flashlight to a gunfight.

John

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said lights were weapons?

You can use one as an impact weapon, but that is about as far as it goes.

Scott

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Templar223 said:
Babo:

There's a reason they didn't mention flashlights as weapons, 'cause they aren't really. I'll share a bit of advice to you and anyone else who thinks a flashlight is a weapon:

Don't bring a flashlight to a gunfight.

John

Don't need your advice.
Don't consider a flashlight to be a weapon.
Thus, my final comment about the article.

Warp

Enlightened
Babo said:
Don't need your advice.
Don't consider a flashlight to be a weapon.
Thus, my final comment about the article.

Well, you did start a thread with a topic centering around whether or not lights are weapons. In doing so you are asking for input from CPF members. Not only that, his advice is very good and so far all four people who have commented have said that lights are not weapons.

Lights are not weapons.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Warp said:
Well, you did start a thread with a topic centering around whether or not lights are weapons. In doing so you are asking for input from CPF members. Not only that, his advice is very good and so far all four people who have commented have said that lights are not weapons.

Lights are not weapons.

Actually, the thread I started does not center around whether or not lights are weapons. Was reading an elective at your school?

Warp

Enlightened
Babo said:
Actually, the thread I started does not center around whether or not lights are weapons. Was reading an elective at your school?

What was the major topic of the thread then?

Are we supposed to go out and find an issue of American Rifleman so we can read it before posting anything?

You didn't really give us any real information.

Resorting to personal attacks is oh so mature, BTW.

Navck

Enlightened
Warp said:

Lights are not weapons.

Unless you reach a specifically high output and focusing system that can make light cut through solid objects such as TVs...

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure if HID was instant strike and you shone a 175W Megaray as a suprise attack into someone's eyes, that might serve as a weapon :D :laughing:

I guess a well focused 500w incan might have the same effect :p

Not to mention one of those tank lights....

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Well if I read "Urban Combat & White Light" what am I supposed to think???

This is a FLASHLIGHT forum, not a gunfight forum.

*hiccup*

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warp said:
:goodjob:

Thanks for the post.

Sure thing, Warp.

Silly threads aren't bad. Fishing threads are a waste of member's time. There is another word that describes this particular thread.
:knight:

cslinger

Enlightened
As I have said there is currently only one light suitable for a weapon and that light is a muzzle flash. Other than that maybe a really really high powered (shipborn, Airborn) laser.

Those aside lights are for identifying targets and giving you the millisecond of disorientation as to whether or not that target needs to be engaged with real weapons.

That being said, I assume lighting up a Hellfire in an average size room where everybody is dark adjusted would be interesting. Everybody involved would be seeing stars. :D

Chris