Dreyers & Edys Grand Ice Cream..same?

Jamrock

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm,

lastnight i saw a Dreyers Grand Ice Cream commercial & this morning i saw the same exact commercial but at the end it had Edy's Grand Ice Cream on the container...So i looked up both sites and even their Website look the same:huh2:

Dreyers Site

Edy's Site

Are they the same? I never seen or heard of Edy's before:candle:

Is this some kinda Westcoast & Eastcoast thing?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I'm from CA and the original Dreyers plant is in Oakland - free samples (yum)

What I understand is when they went national they found out that ~East of the Mississippi there was a brand called BREYERS and needless to say, they weren't allowed to use the DREYERS name in those regions, thus Edy's was born.

Other regional names are Hellmans / Best Foods mayo, I'm sure there are more.

Jamrock

Newly Enlightened
Ah!! Very Interesting!!

I wouldn't know these things,I'm more of a Ice Cream Sandwich & Chipwich kinda guy:grin2:

Thanks for clearing that up guys
good.gif

CLHC

Flashaholic
I interviewed with Dreyers in Union City where they take all the orders for the U.S. and surprisingly they produce ice cream for a VERY WELL KNOWN coffee company. . .

Like already stated here, Dreyers more known here in the West Coast. Edys in the East.

Enjoy!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Trashman. Somehow Breyers didn't have that problem when they moved out west. Maybe Breyers had bigger lawyers or slipped the FTC something under the table...?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
doesn't seem fair. Seems that what's should be sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander.

As far as Starbucks Ice cream, I vaguely recall doing a case study on that back in school....

Here's the history page

http://www.dreyersinc.com/about/index.asp

looks like Edy's is East of the Rockies.

BTW, I think Dreyers is about the best premium ice cream. I think Ben and Jerries as the best "Super Premium " ice cream.

Last edited: