So got a new black KL1 head on the way for modding...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to convert it over to a KL1-R. Hopefully
I don't destroy it this time. I'm going to try wrapping the plier ends and the unit itself in electrical tape. Also I know NOW that I can't put ANY strain on the wires to the converter board. Any other tips you can think of would be great!

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
....... I'm going to try wrapping the plier ends and the unit itself in electrical tape.

I would worry about the electrical tape, the jaws of the pliers might cut through the tape. I would test it on a pipe first.

I did open an older KL1 3rd GEN by putting the base in a vice and using the rubber from a Craftsmans Strap wrench and Channel Locks.

Best of luck.......

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bombelman posted a pic of how he opened a first run LS. He wrapped the head with some rubber, and then put one of those metal hose clamps around that (the type you can tighten with a screw on one side. Then he used pliers of some kind to actually turn the thing open (heat was involved, IIRC). I can't find the thread right now (what else is new?) but PM him. I'm guessing if the rubber is thick enough, the metal ring will offer another layer of protection.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats' a good idea, I have a few laying around. Gotta find some thick rubber though. I ordered with the free shipping, so it will take FOREVER to get here...