Looking for a new EDC light...

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I've been a little out of the flashlight scene for awhile, so I don't really know what's out there anymore. My last EDC light was an Arc 4+, until I lost it at a hockey game about a year ago. Since then I've just had the Arc AAA-P on my keychain and an occasional Surefire that I clip in my pocket. Well, I really miss having something like the 4+ with me 24/7.

I poked around enough to know that it looks like the Arc 4+ is no more, so I'm looking for a good replacement and/or upgrade. I'd really like to stick with a 1 cell 123 LED light that has at least 2-3 light levels. If I'm not imagining things, the 4+ had a primary, secondary, and then also readily accessible min/max settings, correct? That would be perfect if anything like that is out there. I'd also really like the option of a pocket clip. Can you guys fill me in on what's currently available that might fit the bill.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

HDS (Systems Inc.) Basic or Ultra/Ultimate. They're available in the Dealer's Corner of this forum.

Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
William_H said:
...I'd really like to stick with a 1 cell 123 LED light that has at least 2-3 light levels. If I'm not imagining things, the 4+ had a primary, secondary, and then also readily accessible min/max settings, correct? That would be perfect if anything like that is out there. I'd also really like the option of a pocket clip. Can you guys fill me in on what's currently available that might fit the bill.
You can't go wrong with the HDS series of lights; I EDC the HDS EDC Ultimate 60 and it has all the things that you are looking for, 1x123, LED, 4 readily accessible light levels that the User can set to 20 different levels of light, pocket clip, etc.

I also like Mr. Bulk's Chameleon where you can dynamically change the light levels (as opposed to the HDS light where you need to set them first to the Primary, Secondary, Minimum and Maximum levels). In fact, I'm going to be purchasing the Chameleon in the near future.

Good luck with your search.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
William_H said:
which HDS would you guys say most compares to my old Arc 4+?

In features, the ultimate. In brightness, even the lowest model is brighter than the Arc4.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Look into AWR's NANO.

They're just about to gush forth through the final manufacturing stage, are small, LED, BRIGHT with three levels, rechargeable via mains power or USB port, ummmm lifetime warranty (I think) etc.

Email forum member andrewwynn about them; the NANO is his creation. Only 150 made IIRC.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
just like everyone is saying, the HDS is basicly the upgrade version of the ARC4. the ARC4 was rated 30 lumens (correct me if i'm wrong) and the HDS has 3 models that have 42, 60 and 85 lumens. the HDS functions like the ARC4 and has all the extra stuff like S.O.S, flash, etc.
i have both and i must say IMO that the ARC4 has a better looking body/colour, more user friendly (as in it acually learns the speed of your clicks) and a better button. i'd still EDC it but since its more of a collector's item to me, it stays at home and only gets used once in awhile.
there is an ARC4 for sale in the custom BST if you're interested,

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122581

and in the regular BST there is an HDS U60XRGT that is a discontinued model but would be a very nice buy cause it's a XR (extra runtime, meaning longer battery life).

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121607

also check out the Mcgizmo sections on the light. the PD versions are the current new favourites, and if you can wait a month or so longer, Don aka Mcgizmo will be making Ti PD lights again! if you have the $$, you can buy all the lights, test them out for a few days and keep the one(s) you like better~

William_H

Newly Enlightened
PhantomZ said:
if you have the $$, you can buy all the lights, test them out for a few days and keep the one(s) you like better~

that's kind of what I had in mind, pick up the top two or three recommendations and keep my favorite. but when I get into all of the custom lights my head starts to swim a little. I'm not nearly the technophile that some of you guys are around here. maybe I should just stick with an HDS EDC and call it a day.

BTW, how often does an Arc 4 pop up for sale here? I seem to remember mine being called a 4+, is that a different model than a basic 4?

Blazer

Enlightened
Another vote for the HDS EDC, I've got the Basic 60LE and I love it, it's one of my most used flashlights because of it's versatility, portability, runtime, brightness, etc.
I initially thought it was on the expensive side but after using it for about a year I've determined for myself that it's worth every penny.

zulu45

Enlightened
The Fenix P1 is really nice, and bright. And using a simple twist mechanism, you don't have to worry about replacing switches. And it's a great price.

For a less expensive solution, the Dorcy Super 1 Watt is a nice light, and for only $20.00 at Target, you can't go wrong with it. It's surprisingly well built, not what is usually expected from Dorcy (no offense).

Both of those have nice regulation. The Fenix is brighter, but has a shorter (but still nice, probably about 1:45) runtime, where-as the Dorcy has about 2:20 til 50%. I've been using a Dorcy for a long time, and will still carry it. It has never let me down. I just got the Fenix (4sevens @ Fenix-Store.com is a GREAT supplier) but I haven't used it enough to finalize my opinion on it.

Of course, the HDS is pretty much the top of the line, IF you think it's worth it. While I don't doubt it's ability and features, I wouldn't pay that much for an EDC light.

Welcome back to the obsession.