Best LED light for about $100

DJMsLED

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here. Great site. I want an LED flashlight for camping. I would like it to be regulated with a run time to 50% around 90+ minutes. Ideally I want something that has a reflector with excellent distance illumination.

I was looking at the Inova T4 or T5. I really like the Surefire U2, but it is a bit pricey.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=864
or
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111651&highlight=tm-800x3

Notice the stippling is different between vendors, I like the aggresive style.

Not quite $100, on sale, several threads about it in CPF. Search the key word: TM-800x3
This is a Nuwai light that has three Lux IIIs that can be run single, double or all three. That gives you 60-120 or 180 lumens. A great outdoor light with extremely long burn time. Made for 3 D cells, but on 3 Ds it is not quite as bright as advertised but is a great light. Turns out another company makes them for Nuwai in a 4 and 3 cell model. Apparently it is enginered for 4 cells. So you will find several threads on how to put 4 rechargeable C cells very easily into this light here on CPF. I do not know of the 4 D cell version being available in the USA.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ead.php?t=77178.
I use it camping, hunting, etc. it is a great outdoors light and will reach its expected brightness especially on 4 C cells. By all means consider the Golston 7W from www.qualitychinagoods.com too. Sorry you will not have to pay $100 for that bright burner. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103057 The Golston thread is very long, very popular and a lot said here about it.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to spend the whole $100.00, i would suggest an HDS Basic-42.
I have a B-60, and never leave the house without it, and find it replaces everything i would carry do to the the 4 level's. I thought I had heard of a site selling them for around $100.00. But i might be wrong as to a new price, so check the B/S/T also. VDG

Everett

Newly Enlightened
LED, regulated, good throw, $100
sounds like the E1L to me. it won't quite make your 90 min goal though

Somy Nex

Enlightened
If you're looking for a U2-like light for less than $100, then the CPF LE Multi-level lights sold by Wits End is hard to beat. It accepts almost any configuration of battery types from 2xCR123s, 1xLi-on, to 2xLi-on, and has adjustable levels just like the U2.

It uses a LuxIII vs the LuxV of the U2. This means that it may not be as bright as the U2, but it will focus more tightly and throw farther than the U2.

Link is here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112127

onthebeam

Enlightened
Somy Nex said:
If you're looking for a U2-like light for less than $100, then the CPF LE Multi-level lights sold by Wits End is hard to beat. It accepts almost any configuration of battery types from 2xCR123s, 1xLi-on, to 2xLi-on, and has adjustable levels just like the U2.

I second that. It's $10 off right now. I think Emilion was selling clicky switches for these for $3, which would be worth adding to it.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS B42XRGT. American made, HDS quality, 4 regulated levels, bright than any "75 lumen" light from Asia, True HAIII, takes primary or rechargable batteries, life time warranty, all for under 100 bucks from batterystation or lighthound....

cy

Flashaholic
used surefire L4 goes on bst $95 - $125 fairly regularly
puts out light equal to U2, IMHO one of the best values in flashights...

Last edited:

DJMsLED

Newly Enlightened
Wow!!! Thanks for all of the replies. Very much appreciated. Since I am a newbie, simpler the better. Im still not up to speed and all of the various battery configurations. But, I would definitely be interested the best "bang for the buck" light. Suggestions welcomed.

THANKS! :)

carrot

Flashaholic
In my opinion, the Surefire E1L is a good starting light for newbies. From OpticsHQ -- give Mike a call, tell him you're from CPF -- you can get it for $80 shipped, and it is bright and small. In my opinion, it runs plenty long on a *single* cell, and you can always buy upgrades for it -- like a 2 cell or 3 cell body tube, and it can even run on 2AA batteries if you get the 3-cell VB3 body tube from Lighthound. For $100 from OHQ you can get the E2L, which definitely meets your runtime requirements.

Anyway, the Inova lights you were looking at originally are fantastic choices as well.

rider

Newly Enlightened
The Inova T3, T4, or T5, or Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon would all be great choices.

I'm recently been using a T3 because I prefer the grip and switch over the other three lights. As nice as the T4 and T5 are, they're not waterproof. The T3 will happily take a dunk (as will the Streamlight).

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
DJMsLED said:
Wow!!! Thanks for all of the replies. Very much appreciated. Since I am a newbie, simpler the better. Im still not up to speed and all of the various battery configurations. But, I would definitely be interested the best "bang for the buck" light. Suggestions welcomed.

THANKS! :)

as of today, "bang for the buck" = Nuwai X3, 2AA light, Flash Light Reviews Link

Brightest in it's class, yet cheap, runs on Alkalines, 45 minutes regulated

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest in it's class, yet cheap, runs on Alkalines, 45 minutes regulated......and that too at $35 and will run 1 hour :30 minutes with NiMH :) ... check it out....

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
as of today, "bang for the buck" = Nuwai X3, 2AA light, Flash Light Reviews Link

Brightest in it's class, yet cheap, runs on Alkalines, 45 minutes regulated

Gary at Eliteled.com is the source for my X3 and the rechargable set up.