Fenix P1 with unprotected RCR123

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Just got my P1 this morning, and of course the 1st thing I did was throw an unprotected RCR123 into it. Wow, very bright! I did a bit of an unscientific test, and ran the P1 next to my L2P. To start with it was significantly brighter than the L2P, and so it should have been with >4V. As soon as the P1 started to look significantly dimmer than the L2P (happened over about a 30 second time span at the 45 minute mark) I whipped the cell out and onto my multimeter, where it registered 2.7V (recovering to 2.8V in the 30 seconds I had it on the meter).

I've used these cells for 12+ months in my Longbow Micra, which discharges them down to a similar voltage before the beam noticably dims, so obviously these cells can take the punishment!

Moral of the story, I'm prepared to use my particular unprotected RCR123s* in my P1, taking them out as soon as the torch output noticeably dims. YMMV!

* These cells are sold under the brand name "Digital" in Australia.

PS What a FANTASTIC little torch: inexpensive, well built, looks like jewellery, long running, incredibly bright, perfect white beam. Instant EDC!!