Q: What is state of art converter for Arc LS...?

moses

Enlightened
Warm Greetings,

Been away for quite a while.

One of my two favorite daily use is still an Arc LS that Brock made up for me using a Badboy converter and a very bright 3 watter. (Possibly approaching U bin as it was the brightest T rank he had at the time when U wasn't around yet.)

Anyways, GREAT light.

I have a few Arc LS bodies and I want to put a converter in it to reproduce my current light. Has there been any advancements on available (meaning for public sale) converters that are more efficient than the Badboys?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I figure if anyone knows, it would be someone in this forum.

Blessings,
Mo

mosport

Enlightened
Greetings Mo,

Cool that you carry your modded ARC LS daily, it sure is a tough little light! If you're looking to add features and R123 compatability, then I'd highly recommend goldserve's FLuPIC driver board. It has user programmable brightness settings from 1-20 (PWM controlled), lo / hi / 1.2A burst, adjustable strobe, and SOS modes. The board itself has a microcontroller and 2 LDO regulators, one LDO is active from brightness settings 1-20 and both LDO's are switched on during 1.2A burst mode. I believe that when battery voltage drops to the LED Vf, then it becomes a direct drive setup.

Here are some ARC LS FLuPIC projects created by fellow CPF members:

First run FLuPIC by bombelman

LS FLuPIC by chimo

LS FLuPIC by me

HTH,

Derek

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
I like the flupic a lot, and have 2 flupic based lights, but you should be aware that since it is pwm and not current regulation, the lower light levels are noticably flickery. I see strobes when i move my hand under it. The configurability is great though, with user adjustable levels. I go back and forth on how I feel about the actual output.

moses

Enlightened
Thanks guys!

I followed your various links but am not sure if I missed it.

1. Are the flupics simple drop ins for the Arc LS after I put a LED on it or do I have to install it to heatsinks etc.

2. Any idea of their efficiency?

Thanks!
Mo

Monolith

Enlightened
moses said:
Thanks guys!

I followed your various links but am not sure if I missed it.

1. Are the flupics simple drop ins for the Arc LS after I put a LED on it or do I have to install it to heatsinks etc.

2. Any idea of their efficiency?

Thanks!
Mo
They are not drop in replacements. It's just the driver board, no leds.

mosport

Enlightened
You'll need to make a heatsink emitter board and then epoxy to the FLuPIC in order to make a sandwich. Once you add the emitter it'll be a drop-in replacement for the ARC light engine.

Here's how you can make your own heatsink emitter board from a penny, Thingsforjason reports that 1944 to 1981 US pennies have 95% copper composition.

I'm thinking about making a small run of FLuPIC sandwiches for sale, if you're interested please send me a PM.

Latest posts