MagLED reflector/heatsink idea

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MagLED doesnt really give that great of a beam with the stock reflector IMO, too many artifacts and flaring. It also runs entire too hot and dims too much because of it.

Now, if someone could make a reflector that had a small tail section that would slip down over the protruding bit of the shell of the MagLED module tightly enough that it could pass heat to the reflector, that heat should then be able to be passed on to the body of the light. Alternatively, the MagLED module could be fitted inside of the reflector, then when the head is screwed on it would make contact with the socket inside the body.

The LED opening of the reflector would preferably be tight to the LED dome like the reflectors of the Nuwai TM303X, Fenix lights, and the McGizmo McR18 and 20, Thats just how I prefer my reflectors......

Focussing ability would be lost, but I don't like the focussing ability of Maglites to begin with.

Two reflector options would be nice. One for flood and one for throw, but one well designed reflector that incorporates both (calling McGizmo) would be sufficient. Texturing would also not be necessary. I've noticed that with reflectors that hug the dome of the LED artifacting is kept to a minimum or eliminated all together (Fenix series for example).

What say you oh great manipulators of aluminum bar stock?

heres a quick image I slapped together to give more of an idea

MagLED_reflector_idea.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if a metal reflector like the one used in the Mag85 mod can be bushed to make contact with the Magled.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about that too, but those reflectors are pretty expensive, and may not focus an LED well. Maybe someone could try it and let us know.