I want a tactical Led light that runs on NI-MH

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I want a LED light that preferably runs on AA NI-MH batteries i don't like lithium batteries as i have two kids in the house.

It needs to put out enough light to be considered tactical as this will be my self defence light.

Any ideas.

I am willing to modify a light if i have to and i am not bothered by runtime.

I already have an L2P with a UXOJ and a different circuit in it running at 1.95A which is bright but alot of the light is spread out. I want something where all the light is concentrated into the spot.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always get a Surefire or INOVA T series and mod it with some extensions to accept AA batts. It seems the output is unaffected but it will be longer!!
Or, the L2P is pretty bright but not what I would call blinding,fantastic regulation though - as opposed to Gerbers LX3 or TX3.
If you can run to AAA NiMH then try Electrolumen's Little Friend - very bright and not too costly ($130 ish?). You can find a link to them on this forum.

Be lucky...

Sorry, only just realized you already have an L2P, note to self...I must read the whole post!!!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What harm does a lithium battery do?? I'd think a NiMH would do just as much damage if eaten/swallowed/etc.. If you want rechargable, Li-ION is the way to go, IMO, at least for your intended application (which is another story entirely)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nuwai X3 is quite bright (take a look at the output numbers on FLR) and also quite cheap. However, it does also spread the light around as it has spill light. If you want a focused light, you need either a SF or Inova, which Nyctophiliac suggested, needs an extension tube to run AAs. Also, neither the SF or Inova put out as much light as the X3, but they concentrate what they make solely into the spot.

amanichen

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
What harm does a lithium battery do?? I'd think a NiMH would do just as much damage if eaten/swallowed/etc.. If you want rechargable, Li-ION is the way to go, IMO, at least for your intended application (which is another story entirely)
Read the recent string of "exploding battery" and "flashlight caught on fire" threads to see why you might not want to give your wife and kids lithium batteries.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not use a Li-ion based light? The Li-poly battery in your cell phone is a lot less safe....

Why not an incan?

A Wolf Eyes 9 D series light puts out about 200 lumen in a pretty tight beam. You can run it on 2 protected 18500 Li-ion cells if you don't want to use primaries.
Buy 2-4 protected 18500s and a DSD charger with spacers from Lighthound or AW. Sign up with Mike at PTS (check the CPF specials) in the dealers corner.
I think they make led based tac lights as well..

I second the idea of the Nuwai X-3 if you insist on NiMHs...

One issue with NiMHs that doesn't combine well with a self defence light is the self discharge which will drain the batteries even when the light isn't in use.

One other thing you might want to think about is that any high output flashlight can be somewhat dangerous for kids to play with...

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I like the look of the TRICARUS it looks like it will meet my needs apart from being a little larger than i intended but i suppose with something that puts out that amount of light it's not gonna fit in the palm of your hand unless it's run on lithiums and like i said i don't like lithiums(very small risk of explosion but there is a risk none the less and i won't have the batteries around my family) now i need to see how much one of those little beauties is.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that you may want something like a Surefire L7, that is set up to run a 3 cell sub C NiCd battery pack. You could switch out the nicd pack for a nimh pack that could be made up by SilverFox and company. The L7 would have similar output to L6, having a nice beam with decent hotspot, and about 100 lumens. Surefire has a nice charger that comes with L7, and it can charge up nimh's too.

Bill

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
leeleefocus said:
I like the look of the TRICARUS it looks like it will meet my needs apart from being a little larger than i intended but i suppose with something that puts out that amount of light it's not gonna fit in the palm of your hand unless it's run on lithiums and like i said i don't like lithiums(very small risk of explosion but there is a risk none the less and i won't have the batteries around my family) now i need to see how much one of those little beauties is.

Leeleefocus:)

It works with 7x AA-nimh cells, also with 7xAA Alkalines

Best regards

_____
Tom

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Long John How much did you have to pay for the light I am very tempted to get one

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made several Mag Tri-Lux lights using the 2D host with NiMH cells, they are little larger than the typical 2X or 3X CR123 Tactical light, but that's the trade off for using rechargeable cells.

If your set up with a good battery charger go for it, I think you will be happy with the results.

Later
Kelly

InfidelCastro

Banned
If you have a laptop or a cellphone, you probably run a larger risk of explosion than with properly maintained lithium batteries.

For a good 2AA light that runs on rechargeables, I really like my L2T. And it's a bit brighter than the L2P.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Some of these responses are really helpful although some people are having trouble understanding my point of view on lithium's and others can totally understand my point of view but this will always happen in a discussion with lots of individuals.

Nobody is wrong in this sittuation it just comes down to preferences and beliefs.

I'm trying to find out a price on the TRICARUS at the moment but i am still open to any suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has posted.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I understand your point of view completely. All I'm saying is that it's illogical if you own a laptop or a cellphone. That's all. Good luck with the NiMh light. There are some good ones.