Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference (Picts)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when LiOn batteries were still new this kind of thing happened more often. Apple actually recalled the entire 5300 line and replaced them wih NiMH due to most of the batteries they bought being defective. Several caught fire while on the assembly line.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
another dell laptop explodes... with picts!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550

With all the talk about LiIon batts around here, when this continues to happen to laptop batteries it's a big concern! It's not immediately obvious from the pictures there if it was plugged in and charging or not, there are other laptop chargers on the desk around other peoples laptops so it might have been.

Obviously a better way to test batteries and their protections prior to sale needs to be figured out... Even though the failure rate is very low compared to all the laptop batts out there, the stakes are too high!

jtice

Flashaholic
Pretty soon WE arent gonna be allowed on the damned planes !

opps, I farted, no more people on the plane !!!!!!! :green:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT, no 5300 ever caught fire, they were recalled because one overheated in the testing lab. No user ever had this happen to one.

The new ones though, one has to wonder who is supplying the batteries...

I guess the same companies that are doing it for Dell and all the rest that are gearing up to meet higher demand and not doing as good a job at quality control as they should...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
What's going to happen once this happens on a plane in flight? No more laptops on planes?

Scary to think of this occuring on an airplane. It's not like a building where you have a fire suppression system...on the plane brrrrrr... :eek:

cy

Flashaholic
my new laptop gets pretty hot sitting on my lap. got to turn it off after a few minutes of using.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Nice.

I had a laptop catch on fire once, but there were firearms and poor judgement involved. The end result was a change in the rules at that particular shooting range, so that computers were no longer considered OK targets.

Protaeus

Enlightened
apparently laptops arent allowed to be marketed as 'laptops' anymore because some guy was using it on his lap and got burnt and sued.

hence the name notebook.

Not sure how true this is - just what I heard :D

wquiles

Flashaholic
vtunderground said:
Nice.

I had a laptop catch on fire once, but there were firearms and poor judgement involved. The end result was a change in the rules at that particular shooting range, so that computers were no longer considered OK targets.
:crackup:

That is what I call a "reactive" target :xyxgun:

Will

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought we already discussed that apple laptop. That article is strange anyway claiming that the melted spot in their carpet will cost them $15,000 to fix. 15 grand for new carpets? I could do my entire house and the neighbors with the best carpet available for less than that...

And in any case, Apple has found the problem and recalled the first shipment of their new laptop batteries. They were defective from the supplier of the cells. So if you have one of the first new ones off the boat, get a new battery on them and be happy :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
revv11 said:
As many as 43 laptop fires have been reported in the United States since 2001, according to statistics compiled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Read the print edition in the mall a couple of days ago. immediately thought of the recent rash of exploding flashlights and batteries at CPF.

EEEK! I got an L91 in the Civictor in my pocket. Hope it is OK. It is lithiun but not lithiun-ion.