Pistol lights - Opinions & Recomendations

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Let me precede my questions about pistol mounted lights with the caveat that I believe that having a pistol mounted light is not a way to meet all of your lighting needs. A quality, dependable, bright hand flashlight is still beneficial to the executions of one's duties in a dark area. I've read many threads about hand flashlights/pistol shooting techniques and I've also read an equal number of threads about how pointing a light mounted on a weapon at something you only want to illuminate, not engage, has some safety issues. As far as law enforcement is concerned, I believe that the two tools are complementary, not mutually exclusive, and can reside perfectly happily together on a duty belt.

Now on to the meat of the topic.

I need opinions on pistol mounted flashlights. There has been a recent battery of new products that all look interesting, but since I don't exactly live in Gotham, no local merchants stock any of these lights. I normally like to handle such purchases first, but aggregate opinions here have not steered me wrong in the past.

Surefire has their X200/(A)(B). Apparently the A series has a longer throwing, tighter beam, and the B has a wider less intense beam. I understand that the concern with a tight beam is that there won't be enough side-spill to locate threats peripheral to the focus of the beam, but just how tight is the A's beam? Web-folks have criticised the Inova T3 before as having a too-tight, spotlight-like beam for CQB/room clearing, but I have one mounted on my shotgun, and between its small sidespill and refracted light from interior walls (which are usually light colored) I don't feel that I am blinded beyond the focus of the beam. I am concerned about the lesser throw of the B version simply because I have to consider moving in and outside, not just being in a 15' room. Both lights are rated by the manufacturer at 60 lumens.

Streamlight has come out with their TLR series. I'm not terribly interested in the TLR-2, as I don't really have a use for a laser bulking up my pistol more. Though I have been disspointed by Streamlight products in the past by their inconsistant beam profiles (off-center hotspot, dark spots etc.), I am intrigued by their new light, mostly in the fact that it puts our 80 lumens for 2 hours. Is this accurate, or marketing BS?

There are many other pistol lights out there, but I am mostly interested in LED ones since informal surveys have found the intense white light of a LED to be more blinding than incandescent light. Most of my co-workers find my 40 lumen Inova T2 to be harder on the eyes than my 140 lumen Surefire 9AN. However, if you feel that your personal choice in pistol lights has a feature or ability which makes it worth mentioning, please do so. Given the cost of these things, this is going to be a one-shot deal for me.

Thank you,
Lawhund

Makarov

Enlightened
Hi Lawhund, I recently tested both the X200A and X200B at a friends house. He's a gundealer and sells other equipment (including lights) as well.

i tried the lights mounted on several weapons, including a Glock 34 and a Sig 552. When testing them on the Glock, I found the beam on the X200B to be better all over, with good enough hotspot. Note that I only tested them indoors, there's no darkness here right now (Norway, the land of the Midnight Sun, etc).

He got a grip momentary switch(fit for the Glock) added to the X200B BTW, a feature I haven't seen before, but I guess he got it hold of it when he was at Shot Show earlier this year. Lucky Sod! ;)

The x200B is definitly on my wishlist, as I'd like to have a light on my Glock 34 as well.

jeffroalpha700

Newly Enlightened
I recently posted about my new TLR-2. It is identical to the TLR-1, except it has a laser and is not waterproof.

Here is the thread as I don't want to have to repost everything: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120760. I talked about why I went with it over the X-200. Also, I used to have the Insight M-3 mounted on my weapon. This is its replacement. There is no comparison in quality, and it has a virtually flawless beam. Trust me, with the impressive throw of the TLR series, you WON'T be dissapointed.

Hope this helps. (Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as I am an LEO and use it on duty). Also, I cannot confirm the runtimes yet, but I have had it for about 2 months and used it on numerous building searches. I'm still on the original Streamlight battery set.

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
"i tried the lights mounted on several weapons, including a Glock 34 and a Sig 552"

Very envious of this Mak!!! Unfortunately, I will most likely never have one in my hand here in kali.

now back to topic... sorry, couldn't keep from commenting on the Sig..:ohgeez:

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
great links there depusm12- very fine rifles!! Are you able to own the evil black rifles in your state?

Makarov

Enlightened
Us ordinary guys can't own a 552 here in Norway either, but my friend is a dealer, and got one when he had a SIG dealership. It's a nice rifle, but HEAVY for it's size. Especially with all the stuff he got on the rails...

last year they changed the rules for the overall lenght of the barrel, making the 551 unobtainable as well, but there were sold a few before the changes that you can find on the secondhand market if you're lucky.
They might change this back though, so hopefully we could buy shorter rifles again.

I've got a HK91, but I want a 5.56mm rifle as well. Would love to own a HK416 (or the POF clone), but I don't have the $$$
And while we're in the wishing mood, I'd like a HK/94BT96 to go ;)

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lawhund - do you have a "distance" in mind for your use ? That would actually help a lot with recommendations.

I tried the X200A and for me it is too narrow. The "B" version is better IMHO due to the beam size.

One of my pet peeves is that the lights stick out past the barrel, so one version of my project light in my signature will be for mounting, as it is much shorter. The trade off for reduced length though is throw, as this light is only good to about 50 - 60 ft, which is ok for my use.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iuse the Insight Technologies XML light which is made for Springfield Armory under their name.
It is not an LED light, but it is a very compact rail-mounted light that uses a CR2 battery, weighs 1.8 ounces(including battery), and is about the smallest light you can buy.
It has an incandescent bulb that puts out approximately 40-45 lumens.

It is bright enough for in a house, and has a good beam for its intended use.

It has worked well for me, and I've had it for over a year now.

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Harry,

I imagine that most of the use will be indoors. Having said that however, I think it is worth mentioning that I live in a semi-rural area that has a fair amount of barns and warehouses, so 'indoors' can still be quite a way.

If I had to be tied down to a range, I would go with the worst case scenario of having someone at gunpoint in a open field. I would like to be able to identify them and what they are doing at the end of practical pistol range, which I will put at 30 yards for a night-time engagement.

What about the new Blackhawk light, the Xiphos? It just came out, so are they too new for folks to have opinions on them?

-Lawhund

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - I looked it up under this thread

http://www.blackhawk.com/press/press_detail.asp?release_id=64

According to their web site, it is built by Insight, which is also making the Streamlight product. It is Lux V based, just like the X200B, and other pistol lights, and a stated output of around 80 Lumens, which is in line with 2 x 123 kind of setup.

I have spent quite a bit of time developing a Lux V light and have used virtually every commercial and some very custom optics in the development. Even when I buy the absolute best electronics, optics, and LED bins available, and am confidently in the 80 - 100 Lumen range (Lux V bin 150 Lumens + with my derating), I would not be confident that I could consistently identify and shoot the correct person at 100 ft.

I will readily admit that I am not a LEO or similarly trained, but I have done a lot of testing in various real world lighting conditions. Most of it is not in extreme darkness, as that is actually easier, I prefer to test in contrasty, some non ideally placed ambient lighting as that is more common in my area.

If you have access to a surefire L4, that would be a good comparison of what you will likely get with either the Night Ops light or the X200B.

If you really need 100 ft range, then you should look for an incan based light with closer to 200 Lumens. The downside of this light is frankly that it might blind you if used indoors.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN said:
Hi - I looked it up under this thread

http://www.blackhawk.com/press/press_detail.asp?release_id=64

According to their web site, it is built by Insight, which is also making the Streamlight product. It is Lux V based, just like the X200B, and other pistol lights, and a stated output of around 80 Lumens, which is in line with 2 x 123 kind of setup.

I have spent quite a bit of time developing a Lux V light and have used virtually every commercial and some very custom optics in the development. Even when I buy the absolute best electronics, optics, and LED bins available, and am confidently in the 80 - 100 Lumen range (Lux V bin 150 Lumens + with my derating), I would not be confident that I could consistently identify and shoot the correct person at 100 ft.

I will readily admit that I am not a LEO or similarly trained, but I have done a lot of testing in various real world lighting conditions. Most of it is not in extreme darkness, as that is actually easier, I prefer to test in contrasty, some non ideally placed ambient lighting as that is more common in my area.

If you have access to a surefire L4, that would be a good comparison of what you will likely get with either the Night Ops light or the X200B.

If you really need 100 ft range, then you should look for an incan based light with closer to 200 Lumens. The downside of this light is frankly that it might blind you if used indoors.

I just yesterday read a post by Ken Good of Night-Ops that the Xiphos pistol light was being withdrawn from release at this time, and is going back to the design board.
Apparently they felt the Xiphos needed further work, and it may have something to do with the Lux V, as mentioned above.

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the TLR -1 is regulated? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...

-Lawhund

dasanii19

Enlightened
Just got the X200B (love it) Bought it from Calvin ( www.brightflashlights.net ) great guy great prices. Tell him Zac sent you :)

Here are pics of my new SF's......

DSC02003.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

DSC01990.jpg

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ivanhoe said:
great links there depusm12- very fine rifles!! Are you able to own the evil black rifles in your state?

Yes you can own evil black rifles in kansas. I want an a H&K USC in 45 ACP that has had a UMP( H&K 45 subgun) conversion done to look like a UMP but is still semiauto. Like the one in this picture. http://www.top-notchparts.com/A%20CUSTOM%20UMP%2040cal%20&%2045cal1.jpg . It still has the 16 inch barrel but has a fake suppressor over it.

Last edited: