Suggest One More Light - Maybe?

jjm2

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,
I just joined the forum, and this is my first post, so, please excuse any stupidity.

I currently own a SF 6P. Like it really well, but, want to cross-over to a LED-based light.

Here's the requirements that I am looking for:
1. More long range power - (tighter beam maybe?). The 6P is listed at 65 lumens, I'd like to find a LED light that outputs at least 100 lumens (based on the same scale of the 6P).

2. Would like to keep it around the size of the 6P. Two 123A's is prefered, but, would consider three.

3. Rechargable would probably be ok, but, not prefered.

4. The U2 would be great, I guess, but, it's about twice as much as I am willing to pay -- prefer the $150 range.

5. Does not need to be a multiple power light.

Uses:
1. Boat usage. I live on a private lake and there are way too many boats that are running or anchored, without using any navigation or anchor lights. I want to spot them at a safe distance to avoid a collision. I also might like to be able to get their registration numbers, from a safe distance, just in case that I might want to play Barney Fife about the matter. The 6P just about does it, but, not quite.

2. I'm a volunteer Tornado/Severe Weather Spotter for the NWS. I don't plan to chase a tornado with the light, but, I do want a lot of power to cut through the weather/wind condtions. Also, there's a possibility that I may end up being a 1st responder to a tornado damaged area, and would want the high power for searching the damage.

I hope that this hasn't been too long of a request. Sorry if it is. I'm looking forward to gaining some of the vast knowledge of this forum.

Thanks!
John

carrot

Flashaholic
Depending on how much runtime and brightness you want-- check out the Inove T series, between the T2 and T3, or go for the rechargeable T4.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
jjm2 said:
1. More long range power - (tighter beam maybe?).

LEDs really aren't good for long range yet. The only LED lights that will substantially beat a 6p in throw are the Diamond LED bulbs for Maglites, the LEDBeam 3C, and the Elektrolumens Tri-Star.

For long range spotting, you're better off to stick with incand or move up to HID.

I'd strongly recommend a searchlight for boat use.

carrot

Flashaholic
enLIGHTenment said:
LEDs really aren't good for long range yet. The only LED lights that will substantially beat a 6p in throw are the Diamond LED bulbs for Maglites, the LEDBeam 3C, and the Elektrolumens Tri-Star.
I'm not too sure about that.... my E1L throws nearly as well as my Surefire A2 and G2, and I'm going to buy an Inova T3 soon. Optics help a LED light to throw pretty impressively, in my experience.

Warp

Enlightened
I am relative new to this but through a combination of first hand experience and the opinions of many CPF members whose posts I have read I recommend an incan for its ability to throw and cut through weather and environment factors.

It seems to be near consensus that incans do a better job than LEDs at giving the most lifelike color rendition and cutting through rain, fog, smoke, etc.

You need (IMO) something just like the 6P but with more power. You could swap to the 120 lumen P61 lamp although it only runs for 20 minutes. Perhaps the three cell 9P with stock P90 lamp, rated at 105 lumens for 60 minutes would suit you well?

Now, as for the boat usage I would want more than a handheld flashlight. Since you shouldn't have to worry about keeping it on your person for any length of time (right?) I'd get a spotlight. You can always use whatever light you get for general use and bad weather situations as backup.

nc987

Enlightened
Why not just add a turbohead to your 6p? I would recommend the KL3 head. I have both and the KL3 kicks my 6p's *** in throw

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also recommend an incandescent for your needs and uses. As others have suggested, perhaps 2 lights would be better...a larger boat light and a smaller hand-held that has throw and output (recommend a 3cell for longer runtimes). For lower priced, good performing xenons, take a look at the following:

- Streamlight TL-3 - ~$50 great throw and brighter than a 6P (and I think a 9P also)
- Wolf-Eyes 9D - ~$50-$60
- Microfire M3 or F3
- Nextorch Z9 or T9 ~$60?

All are well below $100 and you can use the rest for a larger spotlight.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they said as far as incans in weather and smoke and a spotlight for boat use...
Best bang for the buck in long throw incans is probably either a Maglite based ROP or a Streamlight TL-3 (2x throw of the SF P60), I don't know how the P61 throws, but I know it is more than the P60.

My favorite long throw LED is the LED Logic striker VG available at Batteryjunction for $110. Supposed to out-throw the P60 Surefire by 50% according to the review on Flashlightreviews.com, and mine has a nice warm tint for good depth perception and color - I compared it to my A1, ROP, and several LED's on trees and it was better than all other LED's - almost as good as the Incans for color and out thows the A2. I'm not sure if they are all like that color-wise, but their web site claims they are made with a certain color or tint for color recognition. In addition, it has low levels, momentary, and a nice strobe.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
carrot said:
I'm not too sure about that.... my E1L throws nearly as well as my Surefire A2 and G2, and I'm going to buy an Inova T3 soon. Optics help a LED light to throw pretty impressively, in my experience.

A T3 has about the same throw as an A2 and only 75% the throw of a SF P60 or P61 lamp module. An E1L throws even worse than an T3.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

The short version of the response to your inquiry is that "there ain't no such aminal".

With a little more detail ...

If you want long throw, you're still better off using an incandescent light. Specifically for your needs, it would seem that the Streamlight Stinger (rechargeable) or the Streamlight TL-3 (3xCR123) would be able to give you more light that your Surefire. Another rechargeable would be the Streamlight Strion; it is very close to the size of a 6P, and while it does outshine a P60 based light, it isn't quite on the same level as either the Stinger or the TL-3. There are a number of other 2xCR123 lights that will also outshine the Surefire, but the presumption here would be that you're looking for a light that noticably has more throw and more light output as your 6P and but would remain in the smaller form factor like the 6P.

And best of all, the 3 Streamlight products that are mentioned above can be found on internet resources in the <$50 to about $85 range.

jjm2 said:
Hey All,
I just joined the forum, and this is my first post, so, please excuse any stupidity.

I currently own a SF 6P. Like it really well, but, want to cross-over to a LED-based light.

Here's the requirements that I am looking for:
1. More long range power - (tighter beam maybe?). The 6P is listed at 65 lumens, I'd like to find a LED light that outputs at least 100 lumens (based on the same scale of the 6P).

2. Would like to keep it around the size of the 6P. Two 123A's is prefered, but, would consider three.

3. Rechargable would probably be ok, but, not prefered.

4. The U2 would be great, I guess, but, it's about twice as much as I am willing to pay -- prefer the $150 range.

5. Does not need to be a multiple power light.

Thanks!
John

jjm2

Newly Enlightened
Many THANKS to you all for your great information! I'm printing this thread out, and going shopping/comparing on all of your suggestions. That'll take a while, but, will be fun....

I participate in a few other forums and this one, by far, has been the most subject-knowledgeable, helpful and friendliest of the forums that I use.

Thanks, again, for your help...

John