smallest yet brightest in its class

marxs

Enlightened
im not sure if this has been asked before, im a newbie flashaholic...but i was wondering what are the smallest (by small i mean around the 4"-4.5" long max length) leds out there packing a big punch? so far i have on my short list edc's, fenix P1, amilite...well thats about it.. any others?

Taylorf

Enlightened
Are you looking mainly for cr123 flashlights, or are cr2 lights fine too?

Some cr2 lights:

Orb Raw
Raw NS
Jil lights
Ion

Macaw

Enlightened
The Fire-fly III has been measured at over 70 lumens, but it can only safely sustain that brightness for a very short time. The CPR Special/Ranier is a throw monster for it's size, a most formidable contender when used with a Li-Ion cell. Then there is the HDS EDC U85 which is supposed to come back into production. The Surefire L4 measures about 4.6" and has a good 80 lumens of output at least, they are rated at 100 lumens and some will achieve that output. Some folks have used 1x123 cell bodies on the L4 and have retained high output using 123 Li-Ion cells, and with about an inch shorter length.

Last edited:

Lynxis

Newly Enlightened
Probably the GatLight v2 will be amongst the very best 123 designs
that can properly handle heat-dissipiation along with the circuitry
to monitor heat being generated and automatically switching to
protect the LED...

Heat dissipiation is a big issue for any amount of prolonged runtime.

I own a Fire-Fly-3 // which is a best-in-class // and rated brightest
123 type... BUT is can not sustain the brightest level for more than
a minute or so because of heat.

The GatLight has a very unique heat-dissipiating design!

carrot

Flashaholic
Surefire E1L definitely packs a punch. Its lumen ratings may not be high, but it can throw with the best of them... and even throws almost as well as my Surefire A2.

Then don't forget the Larry Lights...

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
my Orb Raw (not NS) is extremely bright. It uses an unregulated circuit with RCR2's, and doesn't have the longest runtimes, but it is one of my absolute brightest (and smallest) lux3 lights. And I believe this one has a T-bin in it. Perhaps I won the lottery, but its freakin bright with amazing throw.

Warp

Enlightened
marxs said:
im not sure if this has been asked before, im a newbie flashaholic...but i was wondering what are the smallest (by small i mean around the 4"-4.5" long max length) leds out there packing a big punch? so far i have on my short list edc's, fenix P1, amilite...well thats about it.. any others?

How about a 5" that puts out 120 lumens? That's part of my EDC. Cost, $60 new.

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR2:
Orb Raw/Raw Ns
Jil Intelli
Exolion

1 X CR123A
Fenix P1
Fire~Fly III
Amilite Neo T3 (not nearly the brightnes/size ratio of the other two, but still impressive)
Peak Rainier (bigger, but still damned bright)

roguesw

Enlightened
TW4, aka Surefire KL4 head on 1x123 body
pretty bright for its size but you have to
use rcr123 for it to be in full regulations
but decrease in run time
but bright little light bout 2 1/2 inch long

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the AmiLite Neo T3 or the Surefire E1L. The AmiLite Neo T3 has 93% of the Throw of E1L, 175% of the overall output of the E1L, 70% of the weight (with batteries) of the E1L, and 69% of the runtime to 50 percent of initial brightness of the E1L. I got the numbers from http://www.flashlightreviews.com , a great site. I have The AmiLite & love it. I may get the E1L next. :)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would venture to say the Jetbeam Jet-1's brightness (when run on a 3.7v Li-on) should at least be comparable to the Amilite and Fenix, but I suspect even brighter.

It's a AA-sized light originally, but has a CR123 and 2AA body tubes to swap the format. The beam is very nice and white and absolutely no donut hole even when 1cm away from a surface.

marxs

Enlightened
thanks for all the inputs! i was reading around and stumbled upon the TW4 setup. does anyone know the lux/lumen ratings on a typical TW4 setup? im guessing it depends on the bin of the lux..a T or U probably?

blahblahblah

Enlightened
marxs said:
thanks for all the inputs! i was reading around and stumbled upon the TW4 setup. does anyone know the lux/lumen ratings on a typical TW4 setup? im guessing it depends on the bin of the lux..a T or U probably?

I have some RCR123A batts coming w/ some lights in the future. I've only used primary 123s to date on the TW4. The light has been a big dissapointment thus far (tint and output). When the rechargables come, I'm hoping it will be a completely different light.

Latest posts