More shock resistant: SF G2 or SF 6P?

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
My understanding is they're pretty much the same light, each using different materials for the case. I wonder if the metal case of the 6P or the Nitrolon case of the G2 would generally be considered more durable in terms of shock resistance (dropping, not firearm recoil) and weather-proofing. Comments?

mccavazos

Enlightened
I had a G2 and I my vote would go to that for the shock resistance. I dropped it several times and it always harmlessly bounced around. I couldn't even see any cosmetic damage. As for weatherproofness, I would say that they are about the same. But that's just my 2 cents. I do not have a 6p, so its difficult for me to compare.

Chris

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have both. The G2 is my EDC. It's been dropped several times at distances from 6 to 10ft off the ground. Still has the original lamp in it and it's about 3 years old now. The 6P I don't use as much, I keep it on the nightstand for bumps in the night.

I think the Nitrolon has a little more flex to it so that may help when dropped. the G2 also has a lexan lens, so you won't break that either. The 6P has pyrex and it is possible to crack that if you drop the light hard enough and at the right angle. But at the same time, if you leave a G2 on long enough it will start to melt the lexan. I left mine on for an hour once while I was working on an A/C unit and it warped the lens. You won't do that with Pyrex.

Either way, they are both excellent lights. I highly recommend both of them.

a99raptors

Enlightened
G2 is more robust. Absorbs a bit more shock. But they are both using incandescent lamps so they can still break.

Warp

Enlightened
It only makes sense that the G2 better absorbs shock vs a metal body.

As for weather proofing, in my experience it is weather proof but NOT water proof. I took mine into the pool (~six feet/two meters deep) with me while on vacation and it didn't make it. :ohgeez:

Warp

Enlightened
chesterqw said:
a g2 should be water proof... did you clean the threads and lube the orings ?

Nope. I figured it should be waterproof the way Surefire sold it to me.

I was mistaken.

I shipped it to them and they fixed it. The problem was the tailcap. The replacement that came was well lubed though. :laughing:

Illum

Flashaholic
mikeymoto said:
My understanding is they're pretty much the same light, each using different materials for the case. I wonder if the metal case of the 6P or the Nitrolon case of the G2 would generally be considered more durable in terms of shock resistance (dropping, not firearm recoil) and weather-proofing. Comments?

Check out: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122309

They are yes in fact the same light...2 x 123A, P60 lamp, clicklie,

One is lexan lens the other pyrex, and of course ones polymer the other HA aluminum.

check out the reviews on both lights will give you a better idea
6P: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_6p.htm
G2: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm