what's the difference between an HDS 42 XR GT and Ultimate 42?

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
The differences are -

XR means the light has extended runtime compared to the basic model.
GT means the light has an LED which is guaranteed to output a near perfect white color beam; whereas the basic model light will more likely have an LED which outputs an off-white beam.

The "Ultimate" series of lights also have more features, such as -

Increased light output.
More brightness levels available.
Setting of 'switch on' brightness level.

If you are wanting to purchase the "Ultimate 42" model, then you could try some of the dealers listed at HDS website. However, my understanding is that this model has been discontinued for awhile, so it may be difficult to obtain this model as new.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

meeshu

Enlightened
Hmmmm! I didn't recall that model, but on further researching, it appears you may be right. :ohgeez: Thanks Billson! :)

Apparently, there WAS an "Ultimate 42", but it is generally no longer available as new (except for one or two dealers that may have them still in stock).

Original post modified accordingly!

meeshu

Enlightened
Yes. You can't change the brightness level when "switching on" for the Basic series. Brightness it is set at "Primary" level.

[Edit]:

Damn! Now I've ordered an Ultimate XR light! More poverty! :broke: :sigh:

Having a user set 'switch on' brightness setting could be quite useful, now that I've thought about it.

Last edited:

William_H

Newly Enlightened
meeshu said:
Yes. You can't change the brightness level when "switching on" for the Basic series. Brightness it is set at "Primary" level.

I don't think I understand. With the basic model, the "primary" level is preset, like from the factory? Can I set any of the four levels?

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
With the basic model, you can't set any of the four brightness levels. They are preset. You also can't set the brightness level the light goes to when you first turn it on. That is also preset.

Here are the four levels:

Maximum
Primary
Secondary
Minimum

The basic will always turn on to Primary. This gives you about 10 hours of runtime on one battery. Once the light is on, if you hold down the button, it will switch to Maximum, which gives you about 20-30 minutes, depending on whether you have the XR (extended runtime) model. When you release the button, it will revert to Primary. There is a way to turn it to Maximum without having to hold the button down as well. And of course you can turn it to Secondary or Minimum. However, when you turn it off and back on again, it will always turn on to Primary.

The good news is that the basic's four pre-set levels are chosen perfectly. At least, I consider them to be perfect. I would not change them a bit. Two of the levels emit a very slight whine from the inductor on mine; some people with the ultimate model have raised or lowered their presets one level in order to reduce or eliminate this whine. But really, it's not a big deal. Unless you are working late at night often and need to preserve your night vision by having the light always turn on to Minimum or another setting of your choice, and don't want to deal with holding the light against your hand or leg in order to cover the light until you've clicked it into Minimum, or unless you need the SOS function or really love all the possible modes you an program your light to, the basic is a much better choice for the money.

If you find the XR model, it's worth the extra $4-5. If you find the XRGT still in stock, get that one, it's worth the extra $9 over the standard basic model.

Last edited:

PipesterLite

Newly Enlightened
The Ultimate 42 (U42) has the same programmable features as the Ultimate 60 except it is limited to the 42 lumens output. You can the primary levels (and others) if you wish. I found one from a dealer in April with a low serial number and the old style tail piece. I don't know if any still remain.