LED printer??

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My son is looking for an entry level Laser Printer. As I was looking around for suggestions, ideas etc. I came across LED Printers, I only found Okidata's.
I haven't looked around much after that. Does anyone have any info? Craig? Sounds like LED Museum fodder, probably no whap test :)

Please feel free to move to Cafe if felt more apropriate :)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED and LASER printers are the same.

All ways check the price for an replacement toner cartrige before you buy a laser printer as you might get a shock.

samsung have some very good laser printer for the price.

I just bought an samsung laser with an colour scanner built in so it`s also an stand-alone copy machine.

regards.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Okidata LED printers work pretty well, however was mentioned, you might want to check the price of replacement toner cartridges to insure that they are within your budget before committing to one.

I use one of the Okidata 5150 color printers, and a set of cartridges (4 of them) ends up costing more than what I paid for the printer. But I knew that going into the purchase, so there was no sticker shock.

Oracle said:

To clarify, "LED printer" by Oki directly expose the drum with LEDs. The traditional laser printers uses a laser LED to make the laser, but otherwise work like any other laser printer dating back to helium neon laser models.

Don't get a $100 Samsung. Usually they come with a 1/3 capcity starter catridge and the full capacity cartridge cost around $80.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I actually bought a Samsung SCX-4100 about a year ago. About $120. Color scanner/Laser Printer Great for copies. Can copy photos and print on my inkjet, or take the file to a digital print place. I have replaced the toner once. For about $60, but again I was aware of the price. I like the freedom of cheap B+W printing.
Because I saw the LED printer when looking for my son I thought I'd ask about them here. Thanks for that wiki link.
Anymore info would be a blessing. Anyone have one?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an Okidata OL810e. Got it specifically for a Mac when it was difficult to find printers that work with a Mac. Now the Mac is too old to use and there are no longer drivers for newer Mac OS, so I've got a great printer that I can't use.

I bought about six toner cartridges and a new drum (for a backup) with the intentions of printing my own invoices and flyers. Check and see if there are drivers available for whatever PC your son is using.

Checking for the cost of refills is critical. Many manf are practically giving printers away and making their money on the refills. Most of the printers that become popular usually end up with aftermarket supplies available at a much reduced cost.

Anyway, I loved the Oki. Very good quality and inexpensive to operate. The newest low cost Samsung looks like a great unit IF the cost of their toners will go down. Even before I could get aftermarket toner for the Oki, the OEM Oki toner was about $25. $60+ for the Samsung is steep.

Jasonv8z

Newly Enlightened
I too have an Okidata 810e at least 10 years old now. It works fine on a non-mac, and windows has the required drivers. Try plugging it in. Its been by far the most reliable printer I've ever used.

The B&W Okidata toner cartridges are CHEAP! $25, and they last a few thousand pages. Ink jets are rediculous by comparison. Especially if you run the cleaning cycle. The biggest replacement cost of the Okidata is the drum (around $100), which has a rated life of 20,000 pages, or when the print quality starts going down.

Last year I picked up an Okidata 14e that had been abandoned because it stopped working. Turns out the drum counter had reached 18,000 pages, so it stopped printing and started flashing the service light. A quick reset by clicking the button in Oki's software, and it was printing again. About 1000 pages so far and its been working great. Looks almost the same as the 810e, but It prints at 14ppm.

Last edited: