Modded Clickie and Led for Fenix L2P, Off-Low-High! SXOH!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I just finished a mod of my clickie tailcap of the Fenix L2P and am very pleased with the results, I got a 3 way switch from a River Rock 0.5W headlamp, It has Off-low-high-off sequence, and it is basically the same size as the Fenix switch only a bit taller, I managed to put it into the Fenix.

The result is a clickie that has Off-Low-High-off, very nice! It has a 7ohm resistor for low and direct for high, very easy to do, I wonder why Fenix does not do this as standar feature.

Here is a small video clip hope the links work. Click on the image to see the video. This video shows the stock R bin Luxeon, read post #15 and #17 for the SXOH luxeon

Another small video clip of the mod, the light on the left is a Photon led. This video shows the stock R bin Luxeon, read post #15 and #17 for the SXOH luxeon

To fit you will need to sand down the retaining ring of the switch (The one you unscrew to remove the switch) by 1-2 mm or about half the size, or you could use a ring retainer instead, I put some electrical tape around the switch and it friction fits.

Easy mod in case someone else wants to try it.

AlexGT

Edit! The SXOH luxeon swap is on post #15 and #17

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modded Clickie for Fenix L2P, Off-Low-High!

Nice job!:)

How much for the river rock?Cant the fenix switch fit in the river rock so it can be used?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was the closeout headlamp of target, $5.xx the Fenix switch can be used on the RR but you will lose one setting.

AlexGT

mchlwise

Enlightened

AlexGT said:
It was the closeout headlamp of target, $5.xx the Fenix switch can be used on the RR but you will lose one setting.

AlexGT

Can you post up a pic! I'll run down to my local Target tonight if I can get a 2 stage clickie for my Fenix for 5 bucks! :sold:

thezman

Enlightened

Last I checked, the RR headlamps were back up to $15 or $20. :rant:

thezman

Enlightened

Alex,

In your first vid, it looks like the light shut off between low and high.

Is it: OFF--LOW--HIGH--OFF.

Or : OFF--LOW--OFF--HIGH--OFF

Thanks,
Larry

amanichen

Enlightened

thezman said:
Last I checked, the RR headlamps were back up to $15 or $20. :rant:
Same with my local target. I don't know where all these magical "closeouts" and "clearances" are, but they're sure not in my part of the country.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

amanichen said:
Same with my local target. I don't know where all these magical "closeouts" and "clearances" are, but they're sure not in my part of the country.

My Target never had any closeouts on any of the RR stuff either.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

thezman said:
Alex,

In your first vid, it looks like the light shut off between low and high.

Is it: OFF--LOW--HIGH--OFF.

Or : OFF--LOW--OFF--HIGH--OFF

Thanks,
Larry

I just grabbed my RR headlight and tried it. The sequence is actually OFF--LOW--HIGH--OFF. The reason the light goes off between low and high is because when the switch is pressed to go to high, the connection is broken momentarily just before it clicks into high.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes as srvctec said it is OFF-LOW-HIGH-OFF switch

In case anyone tries the mod, if you see the RR switch from the front, it has 3 legs, the one on the left is low, the short middle one is the battery ground (-) terminal and the one on the right is the high. you solder the resistor to the left leg if you want low first or to the right if you want high first.

Hope I made sense.

AlexGT

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have any photos of the mod?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't take pics of the switch mod, If you get the RR switch or open the Fenix switch you will know what I am talking about, If I open the switch again I will snap some pics

I swaped the Rbin lux 1 that was a yellow greenish tint and put a SXOH Lux 1 emmiter, the difference is very noticeable, brighter and whiter, I took another video in the same conditions as the previous one to compare the brightness.

I also sanded down the retaining aluminum washer that holds the switch assembly with a dremmel and it looks just like the stock switch.

Here is the video, same photon light on the left, SXOH Fenix L2P 2 brightness levels on the right.

AlexGT

Seb

Newly Enlightened

Can you somehow measure the current on low to estimate runtime?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have equipment to measure the current to the led but the circuit board is plain stock, maybe someone else can chime in.

Here is another video to show just how bright the L2P gets when you change the stock R bin Luxeon 1 to a SXOH luxeon 1, Here is a Surefire E2e with 60 lumen bulb on the left and a Fenix L2P SXOH luxeon 1 with 1 x 123 battery on the right, I think the L2p is throwing in the 50's lumen range, very impresive for a smaller light with smaller reflector than the E2e!

AlexGT

This thumbnail shows the E2e on the left and the Fenix L2P LOW on the right, click on the picture to see the video.

<---- CLICK ME!!!!

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all the videos. I really want to try this three way switch! Also I need a clip for my L2P so I can carry it better.

Seb

Newly Enlightened
not the current to the LED but the current drawn from the batteries would be of interest.

SAK

Newly Enlightened
AlexGT,

How difficult is it to remove the L2P's original LED and replace it with the SXOH?

I have never tried an LED swap but I would sure like to have an SXOH in my extra L2P head.

Thanks,

SAK