Can the Fenix L2P run on Li-ions?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

Can the Fenix L2P run on recheargable Li-ion cell for extended periods? I tried one and is way brighter than with a 123A, but would like to know if it has been done before and if there is a risk of damage to the board or led.

AlexGT

pilou

Enlightened
For battery types, the Fenix website lists: Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium. It doesn't specify wether is it is for disposable lithiums only. But this is for two batteries and it seems like you are using it with a one battery body?

nima

Newly Enlightened
The L2P is intended for 3 volts, there's no way its going to be able to take around 8.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
That's what I have my L2P configured to right now, an L1T/L1P body with a 14500 (protected I believe). It is visibly brighter. I haven't had to use the light for an extended period, but after a few minutes, the head is warm to the touch.

Edit: Last night I placed (not solder) a bare solid Cu wire (18ga) in the head to provide additional "length" to the L1T/L1P body. The reason is the 14500 is scouring the pcb contact, being that the battery is slightly longer than the primaries. I believe there is about 1/8" play when the body is screwed into the head with the wire "spacer" in place. This causes the rubber o-ring to be slightly exposed. So what I did was replace it with a glow in the dark o-ring (from greenled), greased it and the threads, and tightened the head on. Easy location of the light in the dark.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a pretty strong overdrive.

Fenix%20L2P%20(sample%203)%20-%20various%20CR2%20and%20CR123.png

I imagine its about like running a P1 on a Li-Ion. Not sure how long the circuit will last at those levels though.