wiping your feet on your national flag.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was walking through B&Q Diy store, with my sister and brother in law.

when we saw some door mats with the ENGLAND flag on they, now for a second i thought this was an great idea, they were only £2.99 each.

and my sister wanted to buy a few for her grow-up kids.

But i thought for a second, it may only be me, I thought it was a terrible idea for people to be wiping their feet on their national flag.

I told my sister about this and we decided not to buy any.

what do you think, would you wipe you feet on your national flag or do you think i was getting upset about nothing.

regards.

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think making a door mat out of any nation's flag is poor taste in the extreme.
I think you did right to not sucumb to the low price.

NAW

Enlightened
As long as your happy I think it was a good decision.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it would depend upon your nation's reverence for it's flag.
Certainly in the U.S. there would be cries of desecretion, yet to burn the flag as a expression of your beliefs is no longer considered criminal. On the other hand, considering that they were less than 3 quid, can I make a presumption as to where they were manufactured? Were they accidently exported to the wrong country? :D

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think it would show terribly bad taste to a: Put it down as a door matt and/or b: to EVEN wipe your feet on it.

I absolutely HATE flag burners, unless it's done correctly to an old tattered flag.

But I would fight for their right to do it.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is wrong, for anyones flag. And the same goes for burning, except to destroy an old flag, or any other desecration to any countries flag. There is such a thing as respect, something that seems forgotten in many quadrants. Heck, I still get angry watching when I see the Iranians marching over the American flag on the commerical for a Discovery channel special.

But, I am probably a dinosaur these days.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I would never do anything to desecrate a flag or anything that looks like one.
People who would wipe their feet on their country's flag should have somebody else wipe their feet on them - being certain they stepped in dog poop first of course. :green: :sick2: :green:

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont like clotheing designed to look like the flag of a country, much less a door mat. Pretty disrespectful no matter what country you live in and what flag it is....

-Cameron

Solomon MK2

Newly Enlightened
I think you're all blowing this all out of proportion.

It's only a PICTURE of a flag, not an ACTUAL flag. Sure, I get upset with flag burning as well - it's an insult to a patriot. But we aren't talking about flag burning here... just a simple doormat. Would I buy one? Probably not. I'd feel a little uneasy about wiping my feet on that,

I've seen beer beer coasters with the national flag, and even toilet paper with a picture of the national flag (it was a special promotion). So, there's people wiping their *** with the stuff. I didn't hear any outcries...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
......the same goes for burning, except to destroy an old flag.......
I think whether it's right or wrong will depend on the intention, just like with burning the flag. If you burn the flag as a sign of contempt for a country, it's wrong (although I do believe it is protected speech by the US Constitution). However, if you are burning a worn flag as a respectful alternative to throwing it in the trash, that's perfectly acceptable.

If you have a flag doormat to go along with your other patriotic decor, the intent is obviously to honor the country and there's nothing wrong with it. But if you've got a flag doormat at the entrance to the pig pen, your intention is to dishonor the counrtry and it is wrong. The other big difference is like Solomon mentioned before, it's not an actual flag, just a flag themed mat. It would never be okay to use an actual flag as a doormat. A actual flag's purpose is to be a symbol honoring a country and should always be treated respectfully.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I agree flag burners are dorks. I also agree that it should not be illegal and that's it's protected free speech. I don't know which I find more annoying, the flag burners or the police state patriots who are always trying to pass a law to 'protect the flag'.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flags in general aren't as big a deal for me as they are for many but I wouldn't wipe my feet or walk on anyone's flag. I wouldn't want to use a flag to upset someone who had served his country and felt more strongly about it than I.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
If it had George W. Bush's, Bill Clinton's or Osama bin Laden's face on it, I would probably buy it as a gag. But I would never use it. I would never want any of those assholes near my own asshole.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
While I agree that flag burning and desecration is insulting and in poor taste, it is not illegal and the right to do so is protected under our Constitution. But as others have said, this isn't even a flag. It's a door mat, and it doesn't appear that there is any political agenda behind it, so I think getting upset about it is probably just another exercise in political correctness.

Things like flags are just symbols and can mean different things to different people. When you start making laws about them you open the door to a lot of problems. Isn't the swastika illegal in Germany and some other countries? While I think the Nazis were a horrible regime, banning something with a swastika on it seems a bit over the top to me.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always kind of liked clothing with the flag on it. I dont think it makes any political statements. I think a doormat with it is probably stupid, but I doubt that the company is using it to try to make a statement.

And to go a bit further, I think that burning or otherwise doing something to a flag to try to prove something is equally as stupid. It's just impotent rage that can't think of anything useful to do, like maybe get out the vote for a different candidate... But I definitely support it as free speech :) if for no other reason that it lets the rest of us know who the stupid people are.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
wiping my feet on a boston redsox floormat!

they have these doormats for the yankees, ny islanders and boston redsox. i was tempted to pick up al three. but thinking like you all on the thread here, i only picked up the boston redsox doormat!
my sister has these floormats for her car, it gave mr great pleasure to wipe my dirty, muddy feet on the redox. i wanted them for my car as well, but they didnt have any when i was in beantown back in february.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC most images of the US flag are considered to be poor taste. Decals on cars, images on clothes, certainly a doormat. From what I think I remember reading about US flag etiquette is that only a real flag is acceptable. There may be exceptions but I can't recall. Does that mean all the flag lapel pins our polititions wear are really in poor taste?

As disgusting as flag burning may be, the day congress passes a law criminalizing such, will be the last day I ever fly the US flag.

I also think it's foolish to feel that "proper burning" for disposal purposes is OK but not for reasons of "free speech", which I think would be counter productive and misguided, anyway. There are much better ways to make a political statement but that choice was granted to us via our Constitution.

Last edited: