Candle vs flashlight?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to explain to someone the advantages of LED flashlights and why they cost so much. I asked if she had a flashlight home, she said no. :)eek:)I then asked her "so what would you do when electricity goes?" She said "go and get the candles." I was stumped.

The question is this: For an average household, are flashlights really necessary?

CANDLES: Very cheap. Always ready (no batteries to die). Lots of light.

If one does not need to go outside where there is wind/rain or if you don't have a yard (apartment bld) or if you don't really care about what's happening outside, then does one really need a flashlight?

If your argument is safety well, in all the years we have used candles when electricity goes, nothing has happened but then, we are not lacking in the common sense department. :shrug:

What do you guys think? How can I win such an argument?

Thanks.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't want to be caught using a candle to light my walking way, up the stairs or anything like that. If it falls over or out of your hand, you could have a much more serious problem on your hands such as your home burning down. That'd be my main argument. Plus flashlights have much better throw so you can see much further with a single lit up item.

-Cameron

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I'll assume your question is a serious one though my first reaction was...are you kidding? There are so many angles from which to approach an answer, I don't know where to start, so I will ramble.

Do you really need a flashlight? No. You don't really need a hammer, a fork a flashlight a knife...I suppose you don't really need much, if you don't mind certain potential inconveniences and/or risks.

Is a candle better than a flashlight - um....it is more romantic. It doesn't need any batteries. I can see how many people would feel that they do not need a flashlight, and that having a box of candles on hand would be adequate in the event of a power outage. People survived and thrived for a long time prior to the invention of the flashlight. Oil lamps were all the rage not too long ago.

Realistically, in a modern context, there is no question in my mind that a flashlight is a much more useful and much safer option than an open flame for general lighting purposes, be it emergency or otherwise. Modern flashlights have long runtimes - some will run for days. They can be left on the shelf for years with a fresh set of 123s and operate perfectly when needed. No matches required. No chance of burning down the house. You can move them around easily, take them outside, and, importantly, direct the light by pointing them, not easily replicated with a lone candle.

One can argue the merit of candles and I would not forsake them entirely - they can be very useful in many ways and certainly belong in a survival kit, but if given the choice of a decent flashlight and set of fresh cells vs. a few good candles and a pack of matches, I think the flashlight wins in most circumstances. :candle: :laughing: :twak: :thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
Well safety first, Flashlights don't start house fires!

Well, before I begin collecting flashlights, I collect kerosene lanterns frequently known as hurricane lanterns or miner's lanterns.

so my first flashlight runs 10 hours on a pint of paraffin and outputs 15 candlepower.

Modern flashlights blow me away... if you want runtime, refer back to candlepower

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting discussion. You are absolutely right that candles have been used for centuries in lighting. It's not that candles have become less safe, it is that people have. this is due to the fact that we use them for lighting so infrequently these days (outside of ceremonial use). People used to treat candles with respect because they knew what would happen if they didn't. I would use the following talking points:

1. LED lights can be bought inexpensively these days (eg. 5-10$ or so)
2. They are longlived with no bulb expenses in the near future
3. They have no open flame to knock over and burn you out (have a pet?)
4. They can operate in wind effectively
5. They are portable
6. they do not require a lighting device (eg. match, lighter)
7. They can light areas directionally (sometimes a plus, sometimes not)
8. They take up little space

there are, of course, counter points and some candle plus's

just some ideas.....good luck with your next presentation :grin2:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a couple oil lamps from my pre-CPF days. When I thought the MagLight was the best "normal" flashlight, it made sense due to the short battery life of a normal incandescent flashlight. For all night lighting of an entire room, or couple of rooms when placed strategically, the oil lamp couldn't be beat. The Maglight was saved for task lighting requiring brighter light.

However, since joining CPF and becoming more educated, they would not likely be my first choice any longer. Some of the low output LED lights I have produce a better quality light and the battery life is long enough to use them as my primary room lighting source. The PR based SMJLEDs seem to be the best balance of usable brightness and good battery life. I have half a dozen handy 2D lights equipped with them so I can lend out a few if needed.

But all that being said, I still keep the oil lamps fueled and handy just in case. And even when they're not needed, sitting out a blackout with a good book lit by nice soft lamplight just seems more relaxing than a using a brighter, admittedly more useful, LED light.

Empath

Flashaholic
eebowler said:
How can I win such an argument?

Why try to win? The differences between candles and flashlights are obvious. People can decide on their own what they prefer.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think candles definitely have their place, and setting a dozen or 2 short ones aside, with proper holders (like wide, low walled glass containers) is a trivial and sensible precaution. I wouldn't want to walk around with it but it can provide many hours of base light in occupied rooms and maybe bathrooms during long term outages.

Of course you need flashlights (to find the candles, if nothing else) and I doubt I'll ever run of battery power for light in an outage (which we haven't had a good one of in 15 years), but I wouldn't discount candles.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no use for candles, but I do like oil lamps and lanterns. Every time the power goes out I fire them up. Although recently I've been using propane mantle lanterns. Cleaner burning and 100x the light.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I once had this very argument with my own mother.

"Candles smell nicer."

...There is truly...no way to argue that flashlights smell better.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Alex,

Oooh, let's not go there...before we know it, maybe someone will come out with a new light on BST with good smell. :lolsign:

Back to the candle vs flashlight, many household might only equipped with sub-par flashlight which consumes batteries quickly with little below average performance. It is natural for them to use candles since the running cost and performance is more acceptable.

I think as the led and battery technologies improve while costs are going down, more and more people will starting to see and accept led flashlight as a standard household item.

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
In a power outage you have no air conditioning. If you are stuck on a hot, sticky, humid night, without power do you really want to putting more heat into the air?

Culhain

Enlightened
I love using candles, Dietz lanterns and Aladin lamps during a power outage. If only I had the room, I would also have a wood burning kitchen range. BUT, enjoying the old technology does not prevent me from appreciating the advantages that modern "new fangled" gear provides. During a power outage I miss my microwave and ice maker far more than electric lights. :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED vs. fire is a call shot; different for everyone.

Put me firmly with the oil lamp/oil candle folks. I do have a few candles, an extra box of matches, and a couple extra Bic lighters stashed. For as little cost, space, and effort as they take, why not? I'd rather give myself every option I can down the road. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Cheers. :buddies:

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
You can't mod a candle.....

or can you? :thinking:

WP

Yeah, but only in short bursts with a can of hairspray or something similar. It's not safe, no. But it can be done. :laughing:

As far as candles vs LED light: Buy em both. However, I'd hate to awake to a noise or even make a bathroom run waking up in the pitch dark fumbling for matches and guessing where the candle is. I wouldn't sleep with them lit.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
mobile1 said:
with candles you can see how much runtime you have left

Rayovac achieved that with a 5 dollar industrial light.
Given all the programmable flashlights coming, you'll probably see that function with an LED screen with battery meter before too long. Will probably play MP3's and have a voice recorder too. Powered by the LinuxLumens distro. :laughing:

Coming soon....color screen :ohgeez:

Last edited: