Did the Solitaire 5mm 12v mod.....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
... but did it with a Rat Shack Blue 2600 LED.

I dislike blue. I wish I could find a place here in Houston with good LEDs in colors I could live with.

This thing is decently bright, but in blue I can't tell how bright. I think green would be better, but I like white more than anything!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Joe, I spent WAY too much money on substandard (output) LEDs from Radioshack. They have some good ones that I still use, though. I got a 2.8v flashing red, and connected it (in series) to a 6v flashing green, and powered it with a 9v battery. It's a fun light. I also took one of those real big red LEDs and attached it to a 2AAA clip light, and it produces a very bright (for red) beam. But for anything with ample light output, you really need to get ahold of Nichia LEDs. There are a few places, online, that you can get them from. You can search Ebay for 'Nichia', or get them from http://www.whitelightled.com/

Now, you put one of those Nichia in that Solitar Mod, and you'll be more happy with the outcome.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I hear that, but have a few fundemental flaws with buying online.

I wasted a Credit Card bad around 18 months ago so must be VERY careful. There is also the shipping thing where it costs $5 to get a $2 item to you.

I'd be happier than a pig in slop to find Nichias locally. But barring that, textured reflector 3C or 3D stuff is bright enough and smooth enough in beam to suit me... though I do wish for a smooth pocket light, in WHITE.