StarLux, Luxeon Star 3 'D' cell flashlight.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
StarLux, Luxeon Star 3 \'D\' cell flashlight.

I also am planning to also make available this 3 'D' cell flashlight, which I tentavily am calling 'StarLux'. Not sure on the name.

Image11.jpg

It is a currently marketed flashlight in Europe, but I have redesigned it for use with a Luxeon Star. No release date yet. Just wanted to let you know what will be coming soon.

After mounting the Luxeon Star, I measure 524 lux, from 1 meter away. This one is direct drive.
grin.gif

Any comments on the appearance? I think it is a great looking flashlight. Yes, it's a bit big for the pocket. The rubber will make it great for hot weather or cold weather use.

Check out this web page for more pics:
More StarLux Photos

Wayne J.

Zephyr

Enlightened
Re: StarLux, Luxeon Star 3 \'D\' cell flashlight.

Nice flashlight Wayne! Did you use a Low Dome or a High Dome LS on it? As always, excellent job!

ZEPH

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened

Wayne J. (ElektroLumens), I wonder how bright it is compared to what else. Looks great - I want one if its bright enough for me. Let me know when to pay you. Hope this can wait til November.
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
grin.gif
</font>

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Doug Meister:
Wayne J. (ElektroLumens), I wonder how bright it is compared to what else. Looks great - I want one if its bright enough for me. Let me know when to pay you. Hope this can wait til November.
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
grin.gif
</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There is no difference in brightness, with this flashlight, than with a Blaster, or with the modified Mag Lites I was doing. It's a 3 'D' cell aluminum flashlight, direct drive! With slightly used batteries, in one test, I measured 524 lux. Also, Luxeon Star LED's will vary in brightness.

For comparison, using the same batteries, I measured 960 Lux from a 3 'D' cell incandesent flashlight. My light brightness tests should not be considered absolutes, as I am not very skilled in measuring light, but only as a general measurement.

I want to make a Luxeon Star flashlight available to people, that will not break the bank (only $49.99). If you use a flashlight a lot, a Luxeon Star based flashlight is actually less expensive than a plastic $3.95 flashlight, when you consider the money you'll save in batteries. (Duh!)

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am currently running a 5 watt Cyan Luxeon Star in a 3 'D' cell flashlight, using 4 'C' cells. This looks very promising, and can be made available very soon. I left it on overnight, having begun with not so fresh batteries, and it was still pretty bright in the morning.

With 4 fresh 'C' cells, using the stock optics, from one meter I measure 1,000 lux. This is not from a tiny spot, but a huge flood of light, so the 1,000 lux is an incredible amount of light. Outside, it floods the entire area with tons of light. Although, according to specs, this is uderdriven, don't be fooled into thinking it is not very bright!
shocked.gif
It is awesome bright!

I will also make the 5 watt available to CPF menbers. The 3 'D' cell with a 1 watt Luxeon Star, (low dome, or high dome if available), and a 3 'D' cell converted to 4 'C' cell, with a cyan 5 watt Luxeon Star.

These flashlights will all have my 'Elektro Lumens' logo on the tailcap, the same as the Blaster logo.
grin.gif

Blaster.Final.2.jpg

Looks like I will have them ready to go about the 2nd week of October. I might start taking orders in about 2 weeks. I'll make that anouncement in the for sale section.

These will be anodized gold, and the lettering in the tailcap will be laser etched, and will be aluminum silver.

For the police and other professionals, I also have another model (no photos yet). It will be black. Available at the same time.

Special pricing
grin.gif
($$)
grin.gif
for those with a CPF membership number.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

This post made me wonder what had happened to the flashlights that you were having made for your distribution.

So are you planning on "saving" them to build and sell with the 5W Luxeons?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Slick:
This post made me wonder what had happened to the flashlights that you were having made for your distribution.

So are you planning on "saving" them to build and sell with the 5W Luxeons?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Slick,

Good question. I am still working on having some parts manufactured for my 'Blaster'. It takes a long time sometimes to develope a new product. One tiny little part has the thing on hold, probalby up until the end of Octover. It is a injection molded rubber switch seal. I didn't realize it would take so long to have manufactured.

The Blaster will have several versions, the current 3 'C' cell will be lengthened 1" to hold 3 'D' cells. Another version will have an enlarged body, large enough to hold a Radio Shack 8AA battery holder, with room for a voltage regulator. This version would be for the 5 watt, when it comes out. I will also have a 4 'D' cell, and even a 5 'D' cell, for use with the 5 watt. In most every respect, the Blaster will be of the utmost quality, from the type of aluminum and it's thickness, the anodizing, the type of lens used, etc.

The StarLux is for those who want a Basic Luxeon Star flashlight. Good quality, but doesn't break the bank. It is a retrofit 3 'D' cell flashlight, the same as I've been doing all along, but now it is being done without any legal infringments on others trademarks, or patents. With a low retail price of $49.99.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Zephyr

Enlightened

Wayne,

I'm just wondering if you will be putting your own "Elektro Lumens" logo on any of the flashlight that you will modify? Thanks!

ZEPH

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Zephyr:
Wayne,

I'm just wondering if you will be putting your own "Elektro Lumens" logo on any of the flashlight that you will modify? Thanks!

ZEPH
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Zeph,

Good question.

I suppose you mean, like put my logo on a Mag Lite or a Brinkmann?

No, that wouldn't be a good idea. To take another comapanies product, rename it, put my own logo on it, and resell it as my own, without their permission? Ooh, that would be patent and trademark infringement, big time.
shocked.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,

I was wondering how the StarLux compares in size to other 3 'D' cell lights like the Mag for instance. It looks like it might be shorter but I don't really have enough reference to tell.

I'm really looking forward to these being available.

Thanks,
Pat

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by treek13:
Wayne,

I was wondering how the StarLux compares in size to other 3 'D' cell lights like the Mag for instance. It looks like it might be shorter but I don't really have enough reference to tell.

I'm really looking forward to these being available.

Thanks,
Pat
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The StarLux is 11 1/2 inches long, and the Mag 3D is 12 1/2 inches long. So the StarLux is about 1" shorter than a 3D Mag Lite. This is good for me because I can use the same packaging for both the Blaster and the StarLux.

Expect to be able to buy one the second week of October. I'll have a second, similar flashlight, which will be black. I don't have a name for it yet. I'll post some pics of it later. Both will have the Elektro Lumens logo on the tail cap, and will be the same price. Many professionals prefer a black flashlight.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
Many professionals prefer a black flashlight.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not just professionals.
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am now taking orders for this flashlight. See the post in Buy/Sell:

StarLux

I can also offer this flashlight using a cyan 5 watt emitter, and a 6 AA battery pack, if there is any interest. It would use the reflector, and have an adjustable beam. The stock optics could also be used if desired.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any beamshots and head to head comparisons? How about use as an impact device as compared to the Mag?

Be interesting to see a comparison between standard 3d mag and this light in a runtime vs brightness chart.

How about throw as compared to the incandescent?

If the product is good, the more informed the customer is, the more likely they are to buy it.
smile.gif

Mark

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ElektroLumens:

StarLux

I can also offer this flashlight using a cyan 5 watt emitter, and a 6 AA battery pack, if there is any interest. It would use the reflector, and have an adjustable beam. The stock optics could also be used if desired.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just wondering what the advantages are of using the stock optics...

Would the cyan 5W be able to handle 6 lithium AA's or just alkalines? What about NiMH's?

Would the 6AA combination be the brightest light available from you?
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just wondering what the advantages are of using the stock optics...

Would the cyan 5W be able to handle 6 lithium AA's or just alkalines? What about NiMH's?

grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">6 x 1.8 volts = 10.8 volts !!!
shocked.gif
winkie.jpg

As for how well they can handle battteries like alkaline or NiMH, I would say they would go with NiMH nicely for a higher output. I bet wayne has it all nicely done already.

As for your last question, I believe his answer would be something similar to "Brighest? Never! There will always be a brighter light"

But I guess we all have to do with the 5 watt LS for now. If it's not enough, stack 6 of em together aka Super 6 style! Prepare for some really good heat sinking or else underdrive it...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Minjin:
Any beamshots and head to head comparisons? How about use as an impact device as compared to the Mag?

Be interesting to see a comparison between standard 3d mag and this light in a runtime vs brightness chart.

How about throw as compared to the incandescent?

If the product is good, the more informed the customer is, the more likely they are to buy it.
smile.gif

Mark
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Impact test? Impact device? You mean as a club? I don't see how it could differ from a Mag for that use?

If using a 1 watt emitter, it is a different animal than a halogen flashlight. Brightness is the strong point of a halogen. The 1 watt emitter has battery life, longevity of life, resistance to impact as it's strong point. How bright is a Mag Lite if while its on, you drop it? Will it be shining brightly after 12 hours, or 6 hours? How often do you need to change the bulb?

To be fair, the aluminum flashlight using a halogen bulb is much brighter, when the batteries are fresh. Other than that, I personally think a Luxeon Star based flashlight is much superior.

Your inquiries are very valid, and I should give consideration to these questions of yours in my advertising.

Here and there sprinkled in various posts are beamshots, and I have some on my web page, here and there.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ChrisM:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ElektroLumens:

StarLux

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just wondering what the advantages are of using the stock optics...

grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For use with 6 AA batteries, there must be some resistance. Otherwise, only 5 batteries would be used. I know if I put a dummy AA battery in there, it will be replaced with a battery.
grin.gif

Having added resistance, (a 5 watt, 2 or 3 ohm resistor), Lithiums or rechargables should be no problem. As you know, rechargables have far less internal resistance. Lithium's also have less resistance as well, than alkalines.

Brightest light? Yes, a 5 watt would definately be the brightest light, unless I start selling HID lights
winkie.jpg
!

Brightness is good, but the 5 watt sucks up the batteries. Expect only 2 hours of light, as opposed to about 72 hours from a 1 watt combined with 3 D cells.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, but that would be a very brilliant, awe-inspiring 2 hours of light now wouldn't it?
smile.gif

What about having the option to switch out the different LS's? Could you do a mod so that the LS would be switchable between the 5W cyan and the 1W white? That would be cool!