Home-made foam "donuts"

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why I didn't post this a lot sooner...I know that I MEANT to! I've been reading a lot of threads talking about effective foam donuts to stop battery rattle in lights like the Fenix P1, and others. The Dr. Scholl's corn pads do work well, but I've found a more cost effective way to make your own.

In the crafts supply section at Wal Mart they sell 8"X10" sheets of self-adhesive foam rubber in different colors (...I use black), for only a buck or two a sheet. All you do is trace a circle on the back of the foam, the size of which you need, and cut it out. Then take a regular office-type single hole punch and punch a hole in the middle of the circle. The positive end nipple of a CR123 fits the hole perfectly with a little room to spare. If you need a thicker donut, just cut two donuts and double them up (...the foam IS pretty thin). The adhesive on the back of the foam is pretty effective; I've put the home-made donuts on no fewer than a dozen lights, and I have yet to have one come off! Another "plus" is that one sheet of this stuff makes a LOT of foam donuts! As many as I've made, I haven't even used a third of the sheet that I bought...FYI!

PJD

When I get home from work in the morning, I'll edit this post with the EXACT name and item number of the adhesive foam sheets...

EDIT: The sheet isn't 8"X10", it's 9"X12"!; It's called "Darice Foamies", and the UPC code is 52695 13408. Again, this stuff works great for foam donuts!

Last edited:

JimmyB

Enlightened
I've been wanting to make some of these but didn't know where to start. Thanks for the help. Off to the craft store now...

JimmyB