The best 1 cell light?

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a high end light. I would like it to run on one RCR123 and meet or exceed theses specifications:
-two stages
-50 lumen max setting with a runtime of at least 1 hour
-waterproof
-heat protection (not a must)
-good and usuable sidespill (simular or better than a HDS B42 on max)

There would be no particular use for this light. Just to play around and use as a regualr flashlight.
So far in the running is a McLux III PD, GatLight V2, HDS EDC U85 and even though its a two cell light its relatively small a Spy 005. I don't know if I'm overlooking any, if so let me know, but out of these which is the 'best' light. I know there all good and it's subjective but any advice to help me choose one would be greatly appreciated.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a HDS U60XR or XRGT, you won't get an hour runtime on max, but on 42 lumens you'll get quite a long time on an R123A. My U60XRGT goes for over 2 and a half hours at 42 lumens. 42 lumens isn't really noticablly dimmer than 50. The U85 isn't available yet, so this is only an option if you're patient.

The McLux III PD is an equally fine light, just different. Don't worry about the lack of heat protection, the light doesn't get hot enough to do any damage, even if you leave it sitting around until the battery drains. I get slightly over an hour runtime with a R123A.

Between these two, it's like comparing Mercedes and BMW. Both have their merits over the other, but no matter how you look at them, they're both really, really nice. I think the McLux was designed better as a carry light, with its excellent pocket clip and bezel down positioning. The clip on the HDS, well, sucks. The Arc 4 clip fits the HDS, but these aren't easy to find. I looked for 5 months for one, and when I finally got one, I didn't even own an HDS anymore (I promptly bought a U60XRGT to put it on). The HDS obviously has more features, but the McLux is easier and simpler to use. It's subjective, but I think the McLux is a far more attractive light. Although all dolled up with a Ti bezel ring, knurled tailcap, and Arc 4 clip, I think my HDS looks pretty good too.

The nice thing with either is that you can buy one, and if you decide you don't like it, you can turn it around on B/S/T quickly without much (if any) depreciation. McLux III PD sales are measured in minutes rather than days.

BTW, you should also add the Fire~Fly III by DSpeck to your list. Runtime on high won't be an hour (more like 35-40 minutes of bright light), but it was never meant to be used on full blast for more than a few minutes at a time anyway. Keep the 2nd level at level 12-16 and it'll be bright enough for most things, and last quite a while. The nice thing is that it's very programmable, so you can set it up the way you want it. It's much less expensive than either the HDS or PD, but it's still an excellent light (one of the best made). It's tiny for a 123A sized light, and a pleasure to hold and use. Don't tell Doug, but IMO it's way underpriced. :sssh:

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
I think the Fenix P1 meets your needs. I'm happy with mine. I feel it's prety bright with cr123 battery. And, with a protected r123 it's darn bright. Small size, decent price...

Ooops, just noticed you want a two stage light, sorry P1 won't work

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded a Fenix L2P with a SXOH and a 2 stage clickie, It has Low, high, off, and with the Sbin is as bright as the stock p1 with the ability to take 1 or 2 AA, 1x123, or 1x CR2, runtime with 1x123 or 2aa is 2.5 hours.

Very versatile light!

AlexGT

lightrod

Enlightened
You didn't list pocketability as a requirement, but if you want that as well then it's the FF3 in my book. As Planterz points out it's "tiny", but not so tiny as to be hard to handle. Good fit and very operable in one hand due to smooth / twisty motion. Overall: high quality look and feel, and very functional/flexible. Not available until August or so though as Doug recently ran out of his prior stock.

The recommendation is to use ONLY the RCR123 battery.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a McLux PD, and have either owned or have many single cell, 2 stage lights. The Spy 005 is an amazing light; very bright, six settings, extremely welll made and finished. It is easier to carry and handle than a "One" cell IMO.
Obviously, with two batteries, runtime is amazing!!

If I could only own one, for use and carry , it would be the Spy, followed by McLux PD; the FF3 is a very nice light, as well, as is the Exolion and CR2 ION( both smaller CR2 lights)

Good Luck in your quest!

jeffb

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I started reading a little about the spy and it seems like a really awsome light. I think I would be willing to have a little bigger light and have the runtime and features of the spy then go for a smaller one. Is the runtime on rechargeables close to the runtime with primaries? I saw some runtime graphs, all I have to say is WOW, but there were with primaries. On level 5 can it say on for a long period of time without ruining the LED?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe there are any runtime tets with re-chargeables. Yes, "Data" recommends on a few minutes on highest, but any other level can be on until batteries depleted. Level below "highest" ran over 4 hours to 50%.

jeffb

Macaw

Enlightened
I will also recommend the Mclux III PD. I own other single 123 cell lights including the HDS U60. To me, the PD is a favorite. Very good runtime and a perfect combination of hotspot and spill makes this as close to the perfect EDC as I could ask for.