soldering techniques wanted

divxdude

Newly Enlightened
2 (of many)things i dont really know how to do.

one is repaiing /soldering chains of battery pack cells, which are mig welded together or something to replace bad cells. i'm thinking either torch soldering or slicing a strip of that cut welded tab to insert into a female spade / slide lug and maybe hitting it with a hammer to seal the deal.

the other is micro soldering.. i got some 3mm chips
that may just need a robot to solder the things. i was thinking of masking off all but 2 opposite pins
so i dont get solder bridges. the maybe a coat of paint or adhesive after soldered to strengthen and insulte the new wire connection. then remask for the next opposite pair of pins.

please let me know if you have something that works..

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i've replaced a bad cell like in a drill pack.. i TEAR the strap off the cell about to be replaced.. then i have the strap from the new cell i can fold them together in such a way there is no significant increase in length.. hold your hands together like you are praying and you'll get the picture.. then solder the tabs together and fold the doubled-tab back down flat.. not perfect but it works just fine.

for 3mm chips.. you really need a very fine soldering station is about all.. there are a bunch of trick to solder and it does depend on how many feet and how find the pitch.. but when dealing with these chips.. 'solder wick is your best friend'.. i.e. very good chance you'll get bridges... get some good solder wick like chemwick and clean them up after they goof.. .. oh and use some liquid flux before soldering.. i use a liquid flux in a pen.. very very handy.. if you only need to do it once.. you could sell me the pen i need to buy one about every month.

-awr