Flash: SMJLED bulb doesn't fade...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or at least, not anytime soon. That is, Lambda's has run considerable lumen maintenance testing on his SMJLED PR bulbs (which I hadn't heard about until he just told me) where it has demonstrated very good to excellent lumen maintenance - so I thought I'd just pass this on...

I had been concerned because Chimo's original lumen maintenance tests of the parent MJLED running at 105 mA showed it started fading after about 24 hrs and hit 50% at about 60 hours. This is not awful but it's shorter than I'd prefer for a long run time light.

When I asked him, Lambda reminded me that the SMJLED PR bulb uses the 4 die SMJLED rather than the single die MJLED, so current through each die is much less and lumen maintenance is corrrespondingly better.

At 75 mA, Chimo showed the original MJLED had no measurable falloff at all in his life testing. The SMJLED bulb is (according to Lambda) spec'd to drive the LED at 80 mA so it's life at 20 mA per die should be excellent - it may even reach the thousands and thousands of hours we so often see advertised for LEDs.

In one test, Lambda ran the SMJLED bulb on 2 D cells for 168 hours, after which he re-tested it and found no loss of output at all. He has also run the MJLED at constant 100 mA current for days in his testing.

So, I'm thrilled to learn this. It removes my last concern about these GREAT little bulbs (and I am a worrier by profession).

I've come to view the SMJLED PR bulb in the 84 cent Wal Mart 2xAA light (faceted reflector version) as one of the hidden gems of flashlight-ism. In a PT Tec-20 or Sport Flare (same as Tec-20 plus nose cone, still available for $7 plus $7 shipping per order from here), it is the bulletproof, waterproof, etc. survival light version of same.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool i hope this applies to the soli plugin coming. coming when? :candle: VDG

Empath

Flashaholic
nerdgineer said:
I've come to view the SMJLED PR bulb in the 84 cent Wal Mart 2xAA light (faceted reflector version) as one of the hidden gems of flashlight-ism.

You got that right.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran an SMLED PR base bulb in a 2D light for almost 250 hours, and when the test was done I put 2 fresh cells in and checked the brightness. It had started out around 800, but after that run it was only around 600.

Melven

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I am missing something really obvious, but I have not been able to find what the maximum safe input voltage is for the SMJLED. I know it runs fine on 3.0 V; is it able to take 4.5 V?

I was wondering if I would release the magic smoke if I feed it 3 D cells?

Sorry for the dumb question if this has been covered elsewhere.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
I believe its 3.2 Volts @ ~80 mA.

4.5 would be Crispy Diode city... for ANY 5mm LED.

Never-Ever go above 4 volts, with a 5mm as they can't handle the voltage or heat all that well. Unless its some kind of super multi-die LED and the Technical spec. from the manufactuerer says so.

Melven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying to my "dumb" question. I did not want to release the magic smoke from my new SMJLED.

AJMAUDIO

Newly Enlightened
so what kind of damage would be done running them on 2x lithium aa at approx 3.4 volts? should I put a resistor in there or will it be ok?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
AJMAUDIO said:
so what kind of damage would be done running them on 2x lithium aa at approx 3.4 volts? should I put a resistor in there or will it be ok?

The SMJLED will be fine on Li AAs.

When the SMJLEDs were first released, Lambda recommended conditioning fresh Li cells by running them in another device for several mimutes, but soon found that the SMJLEDs could take 3.4 V. When you approach Li-ion territory near 4 V though, you will need a 4-6 ohm resistor.