Which self defense spray works best?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

Which self defense spray works best? I would like to get a can for my wife and another one for me, which one is the best? I am considering FOX. What spray pattern to choose? Spray or cone? What is the useful life of a can If you don't get to use it and carry it in a pocket or purse?

Which dealer has the best prices?

Thanks!
AlexGT

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check your local laws first. I know in NYC you are limtied to what you can purchase at an authorized dealer (think FFL.)

Its not spray works best, its what you can do to bring the spray into action and follow up with a plan. Also expect to get some in your face, so tolerance to it will help a lot. Attacks hyped up on drugs, alcohol, or other sort of mind altering substance can be less prone to OC.

I carry Fox Labs 5.3 million SHU 2 ounce Stream type spray. I am on my 5th can. I replace it every year or every use. I only had to use it once against attackers, the other times were used to spray myself or to get replaced. I haven't been carrying it lately because I usually keep it readily available in my front coat pocket, so it is summer right now and it will look weird and feel hot if I wear a coat.

My back-up to OC spray during the cooler times of the year is a folding knife. No point in fumbling around with a purse when every second counts. I can have my OC out dispensed, and my knife out and ready in 9 seconds (5 seconds is actually spent spraying the OC.) Practice makes perfect. Don't expect to just buy a can and expect to use it if and when the time comes. Buy multiple cans and practice.

I only keep cone in my house because of fairly close quarters (Tigerlight), but for carry I go stream because it can sometimes be windy and less of it blows back than with cone and I distance myself from suspicious looking people. A good offense is a good defense.

I don't know who has good prices because I buy my stuff along with a few LEO's.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had success with the 10% OC canisters (First Defense) in a number of fights; including a few times when the odds were not in my favor. A narrow stream and aiming a little high allows you to hit your target at a distance too. It's a great tool (instant peace in an aerosol can) if used properly and legally.

Last edited:

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
Freeze +P...This is what several law enforcement agencies in my area carry and I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for my wife. She carries a small canister in a little leather holster on her keychain.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I would only trust a spray of bullets. I can't for the life of me figure out why more rapists don't get the bright idea to steal a good pair of eye-protection goggles.

SRMC

Newly Enlightened
The cans should have an expiration date on them the packaging or can should tell how many bursts are possible. If it is legal and sold in your area I'd consider the Mace brand pepper gel or pepper foam. They'll give you around a 10 foot stream and include UV or orange dye so the attacker can be readily identified (as if writhing on the ground with a face full of foam isn't enough), and because it is not a spray there is less of a chance of it blowing back on you. It is also supposed to cause less of a problem of contaminating everything nearby, especially in confined spaces. The foam is what I ended up purchasing for my spouse.

SRMC

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, around here and elsewhere it's the fox labs spray that gets the regular ratings of effectiveness. Nothing will drop a rhino on PCP, but just about anybody else will get knocked down by it, or so I've heard. I just recently outfitted myself and my wife with a can (after another lady got carjacked in the parking lot where she parks every day) So far I haven't even test fired it, which I know you're supposed to do so we will practice with them soon. They aren't real expensive, no reason not to carry it.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best brand to use is the one in your hand when you need it.
I don't trust the foam, we carry it at work and the range is limited compared to streams.
You can get inert units for practice, but some type of exposure so that you know what to expect if hit with it helps.
Even with a good hit to the face, you should be able to at least turn and run a very short distance before shutting down.
Works best if used on subject with surprise, i.e. not threatening them with it. Just whip it out and hit 'em.
Get at least 2 million SHU, percentage has nothing to do with potency.
If legal carry the 2 oz.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Synergy said:
Freeze +P...This is what several law enforcement agencies in my area carry and I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for my wife. She carries a small canister in a little leather holster on her keychain.

I couldn't agree more! Having been "hit" with 5% OC, 10%OC and Freeze+P, I can say from experience that just OC, regardless of the %, doesn't hold a candle to Freeze+P! It's a mixture of OC and CN (micro-pulverized I believe...could be micro-particulate). On top of the snotting nose, burning and watering eyes and all other exposed mucous membranes, this stuff makes it EXTREMELY hard to breathe... So on top of being in some pretty serious discomfort, you're assailant is also experiencing some fairly incapacitating respiratory distress. In layman's terms, this stuff f***s you up pretty good. Like I said, far more effective than regular OC...FYI

PJD

cyberhobo

Enlightened
How about a skunk? Just squeeze it's stink glands right in your attackers face. You can wear it as a wrap pending an attack. No need for UV dye since you'll smell em' a mile away. Any thoughts on this? Any marketing ideas?

Illum

Flashaholic
cyberhobo said:
How about a skunk? Just squeeze it's stink glands right in your attackers face. You can wear it as a wrap pending an attack. No need for UV dye since you'll smell em' a mile away. Any thoughts on this? Any marketing ideas?

A very expensive looking hat, just pull up the tail if you susect someone is following behind you...

lebox97

Enlightened
outdoors - watch out for wind direction - you would'nt be the first person to spray themselves because they were spraying into a strong wind!!! :ohgeez:

some people (and druggies) are immune/slow to react to this stuff - a buddy of mine can spray most of the brands in his own face and not be affected! :huh:

as mentioned previously - have a backup plan, assume the stuff may slow a determined person down - but not stop them.
what will you do after the spray? run? pull out your glock?, ?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
cyberhobo said:

How much does skunk chow run? Have you got a hairless model for summer wear?