Just Received Mr. Bulk's LGI 3 AA LS mod - BRIGHT!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just Received Mr. Bulk\'s LGI 3 AA LS mod - BRIGHT!

I love getting new lights in the mail!

Today I received Mr. bulk's LGI, 3AA Luxeon Star mod. "In Route" I still have a P61 HOLA coming from Brightguy (to do a Brinkman LX mod, 120 Lumen, 20 minutes run time, can't wait!), and two stock Brinkmann Legend AA's direct from Brinkman, to put my Inretech White AA and Red led into.

But today, YEA, BUDDY!

I have several Luxeon Star Lights, and want to buy more, but my current inventory (collection?) is:
- ARC LS Second
- Lambda Illuminator
- Elektrolumens 3AA
- CMG Reactor
- Inretech 2AA white drop in replacement
and as of today, Mr. Bulk's LGI.

Let me say, I like them all. I am not being polite here, I really do, and I will buy more from eveyone listed above. Even my "Puke Green" CMG reactor. I like it for it's unique design, and the guts to make the first affordable commercially available LS light. I plan to send it back to CMG, maybe the begining of next year to get a replacement for my puke green LS, and can't wait to see what improvements that they make to the light. CMG is a serious flashlight company, so I would expect great improvements from them. And the ARC LS, the light that started it all, the 123 pack is soo cool!

Back to Mr. Bulk's LGI.

HANDS DOWN, the brightest LS that I own, with the nicest beam and light output of all my beams. Nice even, white beam, that is wide.

Nice Job, MR. BULK! Thanks for making a great light.

This now, is my favorite LS light!

And again, the other lights are still great! Lambda and Elektrolumens will always be on my "must buy" list for future lights that they offer for sale, and I have yet to buy a light from dat2zip, I am waiting on his violet or plum or whatever it is being called, to be available at some future date.

But for now, Mr. Bulk is it!!!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: Just Received Mr. Bulk\'s LGI 3 AA LS mod - BRIGHT!

Was that you that made the flash in the southeast sky a few minutes ago?
grin.gif

Ratso

Enlightened

Wow! I would like to see some pictures. (Beam comparisons and also the light itself) BTW, what does LGI stand for?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Long Gun Illuminator

I did a runtime plot on one of them. Makes a good hand warmer!
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I guess I've done enough updating of the website today that I should go look for my LGI. Got mislaid while preparing for the 2nd of three building inspections in a week's time.
icon15.gif

Let's see if it's anywhere close by... I'll use that new Aitec 3-C model (single LS, 1.3 amps draw) to look for it.
blush.gif

... Found it, in seven seconds flat!!
Guess I have yet another web update to write up tonight... see ya later.
grin.gif

P.S.
It outshines the Aitec 3-C, and out-draws it too. 1.52 amps (on AA cells!!) versus 1.29 amps on the Aitec's C cells. The LGI throws 400,000mcd my way too. Holy cow!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks all, but I must say the credit really goes to the Luxeons. As the Real CPF mod gurus here have been publicly stating lately, the individual Luxeon is what makes the light bright or not.

I just happened to have a batch of really, really bright ones -- hey if they can draw an amp-and-a-half, you know they're a-sizzlin'...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Thanks all, but I must say the credit really goes to the Luxeons. As the Real CPF mod gurus here have been publicly stating lately, the individual Luxeon is what makes the light bright or not.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What, are you a baseball player or something?

=====================
Hey, I'm just here to help the team, it was a team effort, I can't take any individual credit, it was teamwork . . .
---------------------

You know that, as I write this, Lambda, Elektrolumens, and dat2zip are all madly toiling away in their dungeons, to "out shine" you!

(and when they do, I'll try to buy one of theirs too!)
This is becoming like Cannon Ball Run with flashlights!

But, for now, you are in the lead!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by MR Bulk:

I just happened to have a batch of really, really bright ones -- hey if they can draw an amp-and-a-half, you know they're a-sizzlin'...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How very true... One of my recent "LGI" builds runs (on alkalines) at 1.879 amps!! As you know, I have a preference for the old style optics, but I just may have to switch over to either the new optic or better yet - an acrylic sphere. A sphere should REALLY make some high lux numbers
shocked.gif

Deth

Newly Enlightened

And now for the obvious question...

How in gods name would I get one of these, Mr. Bulk?
smile.gif

LedCrazd

Newly Enlightened

Charlie,

This baby you created is amazing, it is putting out as much mcd as the Hydra XP4!!! Now, if only the mail man can get the LGI to me....

LedCrazd

Newly Enlightened

Another thing unrelated to this. How come you have two profiles?
confused.gif

MR Bulk?
Flashaholic
Member # 1590

MR Bulk
Flashaholic
Member # 1

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by LedCrazd:
Another thing unrelated to this. How come you have two profiles?
confused.gif

MR Bulk?
Flashaholic
Member # 1590

MR Bulk
Flashaholic
Member # 1
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">THis happened when CPF crashed... MrBulk was originally member #1590, but after the BBS came back on-line he was the first to post and it tagged him with member #1. I'm sure he doesn't mind...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

Yesterday night I received my very own copy of LGI. I ordered it last week and Charlie had it in the mail this Monday. Surprisingly, it showed up here on the East coast on Thursday! My seven year old could not wait until I came home to install the batteries in it.

So 3 Dularcell alkaline later, I turned it on.

I had to bite my tongue in front of the kid but let me tell you, this thing was *expletive_deleted* bright! Big White Hot Even hotspot and bright corona with no yellow/green tint in the normal view.

In one-on-one comparison, it beat 3D MagLite (krypton) and 3C Radio Shack (krypton). Beam quality is super and bigger at about 25 feet. Total output from LGI beat the other two as concurred by my sevent year old. I asked him to read magazine in the back of the room while I lighted the bedroom wall 25 feet away. I did this with LGI and the other two incandescents.

I measured the current draw. Alkalines were consuming 1.3A. Panasonic NiMh 1600 were measuring at 1.2A My eyes were able to see the difference between 1.3A and 1.2A. That implies that it is still not near the end as as far as the max brightness is concerned and could go even brighter with Lithium.

I would like to make few comments.

I had noticed a scratch on the lense. But it turned out to be dust particle which had got caught between the lense and the collimater. I was able to remove it.

Mr Bulk had included a nice write-up with it and gave directions as to how to put refocus it if needed.

My preference would have been to thread-lock (or epoxy) the head, especially if there is a chance that LED could be crushed by improper tightening of the flashlight head. Given that head adjustment does not lead to any focusability, fixed focus (i.e. similar to Lambda Illuminator) would be a preferable solution.

But the worst thing about LGI is that there are NO MORE of them could be purchased any more.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine arrived yesterday also and it is a beauty.

It's my whitest LS so far but compared to the 3AA I got from Elektrolumens I wouldn't say that its any brighter.

In the order of brightness I would now rank it:

Elektrolumens 3AA high-dome
Mr. Bulk's LGI (tie)
Elektrolumens 3AA low-dome (tie)
Arc-LS1 hybrid
MaMax
Arc-LS1

In the order of whiteness:

Mr. Bulk's LGI
Arc-LS1 hybrid
Elektrolumens 3AA high-dome
Elektrolumens 3AA low-dome (tie)
MaMax
Arc-LS1

Mine came complete with the optional hair under the lens but I removed that to save for emergencies.
smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Greg,

The hair is NOT optional, it is standard equipment, especially when you have your 6-year old daughter hovering around you trying to "help"...

Xcandescent

Newly Enlightened

Just got my LGI in the mail today. I haven't been following the threads related to its development, so I'm not really clued in to how a simple, direct-driven 3AA LS 1.2W light could outshine a 3D Maglite, and completely drown out a 3AAA Energizer DB "pea-green" LS mod I got from Lambda a while ago. Guessing it has to do with the choice of the LS LEDs in question -- were they deliberately chosen for a low forward voltage, or did they just happen to be that bright out of the box?

Anyway, the LGI rocks!

-XCN-

Dizney

Newly Enlightened

For those of you thinking about buying "one" of Mr. Bulk's LGI flashlights......get on the waiting list and buy two or more because your flashaholic coworkers and friends will try to permanently "borrow" your LGI.

Charlie, thanks for making this great light available to the general public!!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

What waiting list? There are no more LGI to be bought. It seems that there are no more Luxeon available for Charlie to make any more LGIs

- Vikas

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Spud,

"finally" got to use it? Howcum? (hee hee)

Thanks for enjoying it, you could actually fix the bezel yourself with a dab of Arctic Silver...