Coleman 2x4w 6D lantern on sale $10 at Sports Authority.

Weylan

Enlightened
Coleman 2x4w 6D lantern on sale $10 at Sports Authority.

I just picked up one of the Coleman florescent lanterns for $10. I was shopping for shoes and it jumped into the cart…

I see it uses 6x D cells. I am planning to convert it to use 2 carriers of 6AA in it instead. IE 2 sets of 6 in parallel to run it. Since it wants 6 Ds there is plenty of room. I probably could get 3 sets of 6AA, but 12 AA should work for say ½ - 1/3 the run time. But the fact that I would be using plentiful rechargeable AA cells, this should work out ok.

Any one done this already?

I tested it out to see if it would just work on 6 AAs, and it works out just fine. But have not yet done runtime testing.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The only problem with using rechargables in a lantern designed for alkaline is if the load isn't heavy the alkalines are brighter. You may consider trying 2 sets of 8AA rechargables instead for about 9.6-11v instead of 9-10.2v for alkalines assuming the nimh do about 1.4v max vs 1.7v max for alkaline D cells.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx_Arc said:
The only problem with using rechargables in a lantern designed for alkaline is if the load isn't heavy the alkalines are brighter. You may consider trying 2 sets of 8AA rechargables instead for about 9.6-11v instead of 9-10.2v for alkalines assuming the nimh do about 1.4v max vs 1.7v max for alkaline D cells.

Fluorescent needs higher voltage so it has to boost it either way.