Converter question

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Hi,
I just ordered a HA3 grooved and finned 2aa minim@g and want to put it to some good use. I want to run it off alkaline cells, and run either a U bin lux 3 or a K2 (if and when they arrive) with a high level of 1000 to 1200mA, and also a low level of about 100mA. What would be the best converter to use? I have a BB Nexgen 1000 i could use, but i have read a few good things about the Flupic. If i go for the BB is there an easy 2 stage mod for the minim@g, or if i use the flupic is there any way to make a Kroll momentary? Is ther any board that runs at 1200mA? Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make good use of this new host.
marc

greenLED

Flashaholic
1000mA is a bit too much for the minimag heat dispersing capabilities - the interface between body and head is not a good one. You can customize the resistors on your BB's at The Shoppe, IIRC.

Also, not sure if your alkies will like the current draw all that much... NiMH's may be in order here.

FluPIC boards run off 1xli-ion (3.6V) so a mini-minimag with a AA li-ion works well. I've run a NG500 with a setup like this.

The kroll can work in momentary, when you lightly press the switch. No easy 2-stage switch I know of. I remember somebody assembling some of these for the stock tailcap, but I forget you they were... Gadget Lover, maybe?

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I was going to use the lithium aa primaries, they should take that discharge rate. Heat isnt going to be too much of an issue as i am going to use arctic silver or ceramique between the head and the body. It isnt going to be used for long periods of time, just short bursts.

I think i remember the two stage mod you were talking about, i will try and dig it out. Failing that i think the flupic is the way forward.

Is there any great difference between thermal compounds? I want the best available for this.
marc

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I see, you did mention "alkalines" in your first post, that's where I got confused.

I hear too much thermal compound actually starts acting as an isolator, but I'm not sure how that works.

I just posted this question dealing with how to improve the thermal path in a hotwire minimag; maybe it will give you some more ideas to work on.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Sorry about that, i have a little baby and it gets a bit tiring!! I meant primary cells. Thanks for the link, i will have a look at that.
marc