Golston part-stippled reflector into a VB-16

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Owners of the various versions of the VB-16 have commented a few times that the stock reflector leaves something to be desired. You can swap it for an IMS 27, but this requires a spacing o-ring - which doesn't seem to be available anywhere at the moment.
When the Golston part-stippled reflectors (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122013) turned up they sounded like a possible fit. Bernie kindly provided me with one to try.

Removing the original reflector is quite simple, you just need some long nosed or circlip pliers to unscrew the retaining ring. Once it's out you'll notice that the Golston reflector is somewhat bigger (original reflector and retaining ring to the left).
reflector0010xl.jpg

reflector0021dl.jpg

Obviously the Golston needs to slim down a bit. I cut off the flange with a sharp knife and then sanded it down, in the same way that you can fit an IMS 20 to a MiniMag (see https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/979628&postcount=5).
Note: this is going to take a fair bit of patience, use of Dremels or similar is not recommended on plastic reflectors as you can melt them. Only remove the bits from the reflector once you're done by carefully blowing/washing them off - don't try to polish it!
The finished article looked like this.
reflector0038nm.jpg

You may notice that in order to get a fit I had to take the top of the reflector down to a knife edge. This did cause a couple of bits of silvering to flake off close to the edge. Since the Golston is a bit wider than the stock reflector this isn't actually visible when viewed square on. Someone more careful and patient than me could probably avoid this (only use medium to fine grade sandpaper and take your time!).
When I fitted the reflector and reassembled the bezel I found that the reflector went all the way over the emitter and seated itself on the star. I was VERY careful tightening the bezel down in view of this and how thin the top of the reflector was now. It seemed to be an exact fit as I was able to screw the bezel right down onto the body - this might need a little shortening of the reflector in other cases.
Here's what it looks like now.
reflector0041ii.jpg

How about the important bit - does it perform?
I'd say yes. The hotspot is tight and smooth but it retains a spill beam which is wide and bright enough to be very useable.
I'm not quite up to beamshot pictures as yet so I'll have to point you back here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1461962&postcount=1. I'd say picture 2 is a very good representation of what my VB-16s beam looks like now. With the original reflector it was "ringier" than the smooth one next to it.

I hope that's of help to anyone looking to upgrade a VB-16. (it was several firsts for me - 1st new thread; flashlight photography session and attempt at posting pictures!)

Many thanks to Bernie (FirstDsent) for helping me sort out my reflector niggle.

Don

Last edited: