5 Watt Cyan Luxeon Star in a 5 'D' cell Mag Lite?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 Watt Cyan Luxeon Star in a 5 \'D\' cell Mag Lite?

I have plans to purchase a few 5 'D' cell Mag Lites, and put a cyan 5 watt Luxeon Star in them. I can't get a good price on the flashlights, unless I get at least 5. Any interest? Probably could sell them around $59.99.

This is a huge size flashlight, but 120 lumens (or more, overdriven) is a lot of light!
grin.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5 Watt Cyan Luxeon Star in a 5 \'D\' cell Mag Lite?

Wayne:

I'd be more interested in buying a more compact configuration of 5 alkaline D's or 6 NiMh or NiCad D's removably placed into a modified Garrity (or is it Dorcy?) 4-D to 6V lantern battery adapter. The fifth and sixth batteries could be squeezed in where the removable spacer box presently sits. You could put this batery pack into an inexpensive lantern body and attach the appropriately heat-sinked LS5 accordingly.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by lemlux:
Wayne:

I'd be more interested in buying a more compact configuration of 5 alkaline D's or 6 NiMh or NiCad D's removably placed into a modified Garrity (or is it Dorcy?) 4-D to 6V lantern battery adapter. The fifth and sixth batteries could be squeezed in where the removable spacer box presently sits. You could put this batery pack into an inexpensive lantern body and attach the appropriately heat-sinked LS5 accordingly.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You mean one of those lanterns, that use a 6 volt battery, or 4 'D' cells?

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Eric S

Newly Enlightened

What about a 2C/3-123A Mag or Brinkman Nexstar?
Hell`, I`ll supply my own modded of either if I have too! I personaly am not concerned with super long run time
Eric

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

I am thinking 9V from six AAs flows a lot less juice than 9V from three 123s. So maybe even brighter light, or maybe -- "poof..."

Anybody?

Eric S

Newly Enlightened

I was thinking about it resistored down a bit, not direct drive.
Eric

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Eric S:
What about a 2C/3-123A Mag or Brinkman Nexstar?
Hell`, I`ll supply my own modded of either if I have too! I personaly am not concerned with super long run time
Eric
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Only problem is, the 123A is a very expensive battery.

Wayne J.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about using C cells? Would it be possible to fit 5 C's in a 3 D Mag like a bigger version of your 3 C's in a 2 D Mag?

This way you could have a little bit smaller light without the expense of 123's.

Pat

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

it is possible to put 5c in a 4d maglite and i bought one for this purpose... It will work fine i believe... but now i have become disenchanted with the whole deal and have decided to wait until more bugs are ironed out. SOOO i have a new 4d mag sitting around waiting for some one to buy it... anybody want it for $15 shipped? [email protected]

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by treek13:
How about using C cells? Would it be possible to fit 5 C's in a 3 D Mag like a bigger version of your 3 C's in a 2 D Mag?

This way you could have a little bit smaller light without the expense of 123's.

Pat
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Five C cells fit into a 4 'D' cell flashlight just fine. I have a 4 D cell, which I am going to do this. Probably only get 6 hours of high brightness, I figure. That's why I want to use D cells, to get 12 hours of high level brightness. Only 2 hours or 6 hours is not enough battery life for me.

Wayne J.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bushman, since you have a 4D Mag, why don't you get a 4 Cell White Pro Series LS replacement bulb for that from LEDCorp???

http://www.ledcorp.com/

I am waiting on ever so rare 2 Cell White Pro Series. They ave the appropriate emitters in very small quantity, but they have to make up the bulbs. If you look at the pics on their website, you will know why it take a while to make them.

LED Museum did a review of the Pro Series, and I was impressed enough to inquire (on the phone), then order on the web. At least you have a very nice focusable LS flashlight and fantastic runtime.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just did two mods today, with the 5 watt emitters. I have side emitter, and I mounted it into a 4 'D' cell, with 5 C cells. I mounted the emitter on a short pedestal on top of a flat heat sink, but it is too high, so the head never reaches the o-ring to be at focus, so I will need to redesign the entire thing. It does, however, work okay. At one meter, at a tight focus, I get 6,590 lux. There is some focusability with it.

I much prefer a wide beam, and the optics, so I did another 4 'D' cell, mounted the cyan 5 watt and the optics. This is basically the very same thing as with a 1 watt, but the battery configuration is different. This is direct drive from 5 'C' cells.

With a wide angle, I measure 1,690 lux, with 5 fresh 'C' cells. I expect batter life to be 6 hours at high brightness, but I'll know more later. It may be necessary to add 1 ohm resistance, but I cannot say right now.

I prefer a wider beam. For my uses it is better than a tiny hot spot. Ideal would be a focusable beam, of course. So far I'm not too impressed with the side emitter, but I will give it more testing before I write it off.

I also did a 3 'D' cell, usign 4 'C' cells. At 6 volts I measure 420mA. This is a wider hot spot than the 1 watt, so it would be a lot more lumens. This is a very safe mod, with adequate light.

All in the interest of finding the right combination for using the 5 watt Luxeon Star.
grin.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

What a shame to not pick this up when I was in the States!
How many torches are you intending to build and for how much... I still have some dollar cash left I can post to you.
However, a hefty torch like that is going to cost quite a bit to ship to the UK!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
What a shame to not pick this up when I was in the States!
How many torches are you intending to build and for how much... I still have some dollar cash left I can post to you.
However, a hefty torch like that is going to cost quite a bit to ship to the UK!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I sent a 3 'C' cell by surface letter, to England once, and the cost was not that much. I am not sure if I could do this or not with a larger flashlight.

I plan to have a 5 'D' cell StarLux, using the 5 watt Luxeon Star. This will not be until the 5 watt white emitters are available, though. I could modify a Mag Lite with a cyan emitter, though. If you are interested, send me an email. I modifed a 4 'D' cell to use 5 'C' cells, and put in a cyan 5 watt emitter. Very nice mod, and it works great, super bright! Long battery life. Five D cell Mag Lites are harder to find, and cost a bit more.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

The 4D-modified-to-5C-cyan-torch sounds interesting! I am a real convert to cyan following the phenominal success of my 3D/2LED torch in America! I would suppose that your torch would be hundreds of times brighter.This would be the talk of the town if I was to buy it! In England it would be the ultimate torchaholic machine!
My 2-LED pretty well lights up a mountainside and projects enough light to light up cats eyes on the road as far as one can see at Nant Gwynnant.
(A Welsh farm which is a great place to test new torch designs!) I can't imaginee how your torch would perform...needless to say this isn't one torch that you point facewards and switch on!
Have you a name for your 5C-in-3D torch yet?
I've thought of calling it CYGATORCH, a compound contraction of Cyan and Mega (or Giga) + torch.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
The 4D-modified-to-5C-cyan-torch sounds interesting! I am a real convert to cyan following the phenominal success of my 3D/2LED torch in America! I would suppose that your torch would be hundreds of times brighter.This would be the talk of the town if I was to buy it! In England it would be the ultimate torchaholic machine!
My 2-LED pretty well lights up a mountainside and projects enough light to light up cats eyes on the road as far as one can see at Nant Gwynnant.
(A Welsh farm which is a great place to test new torch designs!) I can't imaginee how your torch would perform...needless to say this isn't one torch that you point facewards and switch on!
Have you a name for your 5C-in-3D torch yet?
I've thought of calling it CYGATORCH, a compound contraction of Cyan and Mega (or Giga) + torch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The 5 watt is so bright it's totally amazing. You just have to see it to believe an LED could be so astoundingly bright. Brighter than any flashlight I have ever had. If your flashlight lights up the mountain, this 5 watt would make it glow!

I like the name Zorch. In Europe I understand a flashlight is called a torch. Terrain Zorcher, etc.

I put 5 AA batteries in a 3 D cell, in a 6AA holder. I might go with 6AA's, and some resistance. I know someone would remove the AA dummy and put in 6AA's. It is even more astoundingly bright with 6AA batteries, but the 3D flashlight housing is not enough heat sink!
shocked.gif

I can easily make the Blaster to use the 6AA battery pack, and also the StarLux would be no problem either.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a beamshot of the cyan 5 watt, in comparison to the 1 watt Lambertian high dome. The 1 watt is in a 3 D cell, direct drive, with somewhat fresh batteries, and I measured over 900 lux from 1 meter. The 5 watt is in a 3 D flashlight, using 5 AA batteries direct drive, with stock optics. The 5 watt has an hour or so of use on the batteries.

5.watt.cyan.beamshot.1.jpg

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Zephyr

Enlightened

I actually have one of Wayne J's Mag mod with 5 watt Cyan in it and this thing is amazingly bright even with used up batteries! It lights up a wider area better than any of my low dome LS mods and its much brighter too . Another amazing thing is that it does not even generate any noticeable heat because it is being underdriven. These 5 watt LS are amazing. Together with Wayne's excellent craftsmanship, these flashlights really shines! BTW, Imagine what a white 5 watt LS can do!!! Wayne, excellent job and I am really impress!

ZEPH

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

How about making a torch with 1 5W cyan Luxeon and 2 5mm cyan nichias? The Luxeon would be switched in when you really need need lots of light, and the nichias could operate as economy mode lighting and give the torch longer battery life (If its anything like my 3C hundreds of hours. This would give you a torch with the best of both worlds! Admitedly some kind of intellgent switching system would be required.