amilite works with r123s (3.7v)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put my amilite head on a q3 body with an r123... the threads dont lock (i have to hold it on), but nevertheless, it still works... It'd be cool if someone made a body for the amilite with a clicky and that can fit r123s.

-David

Newuser01

Enlightened
cheapo said:
I put my amilite head on a q3 body with an r123... the threads dont lock (i have to hold it on), but nevertheless, it still works... It'd be cool if someone made a body for the amilite with a clicky and that can fit r123s.

-David

Congrads!!! DUDE

Ways to go......

Enjoy and looking forward to more pics...if you can take pic of actual unit and how you solder them. Good for us newbies....

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Cheapo,

Big news! The Amilite may be safe to use with R123s. I have been running one sparingly for a few days now above 3.6V. I am using an unprotected 800mA Li-Ion from Dae's Quality China Goods website.

Goldserve posted that the electronics are rated to 5.5V. So the converter will take the juice, and I'm not afraid of overdriving the emitter. Nevertheless, I will improve the thermal transfer as soon as I receive the Arctic Alumina I ordered. I will re-seat my star with AA. Until then, I am not leaving the light on for more than 30 seconds or so.

Yes, it is brighter.

Here's the post where Goldserve gives his opinion. You should read this thread.

Bernie

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
When is Amilite going to release a new light? I can easily picture a 2 X 123 body, or one with a tailswitch, or a 14500 Li-Ion. Their website hasn't changed in a year.

Bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, actually it didnt really seem very much brighter.

geez, this amilite could easily be tricked out. If someone made a r123 compatible body, and if you replace the lux3 with a k2.... that would be quite a bit brighter.

BTW, i didnt solder anything, just held it.

-David

Last edited:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I recently found that some of my unprotected rechargeable cells fit in this light. It is a little brighter with them. Who wants to push the envelope and find out how long you can leave it on with a rechargeable cell? If I did not have a Fenix P1 the Amilite would be my EDC pocket light.
jc

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no reason I can see why not to leave the battery in the amlite for a long time other than the converter will work on a 1.8V input so it will drain unprotected batteries pretty much to depletion and shorten its lifespan. Otherwise, the heatsinking is fine and the converter board is fine. Nothing to worry about!