Photon colors....

Langamer817

Newly Enlightened
How bright is the new white nichia led compared to the normal colord ones? Thanks.

Langamer817

Newly Enlightened
Opto-King said:
What do you mean with white?

3000K, 6000K 10 000Kelvin
I think its called the Nichia CS. Maybe? The Photon freedom uses it now. They say 100% brighter. I mean the white that Photon Freedom uses. I hav no I dea what that would be....

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I'ver heard from multiple Photon owners that the new 2X White blows away the other colors, no questions asked. Makes me wish they would Nichia-up the other colors as soon as possible, the difference is that dramatic. I started out with the 2X White, and I have no regrets. The other colors have their uses, but the new Nichia is the best for EDC.

greenLED

Flashaholic
White is the best color for all around use. Nichia CS's are brighter than the older ones, but they are known for their blotchy beams with "angry blue" centers and "puke green" coronas. :green:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK the old rule of thumb with 5mm LEDs was that the green monochromatic LEDs would end up being about 70% brighter than the white ones. This was so partially because the green one had no phospor on the die so it avoided a lossy conversion to white. The other reason was that the human eye uses green more efficiently for shape recognition than it does for white. The second part is highly subjective.

Since the Nichia CS LEDs are twice as bright as older white LEDs we may assume that they are, in fact, brighter than the monochromatic LEDs in use five years ago.

Then the question becomes, 'How much have 5mm monochromatic LEDs improved in the last five years?.'

That's a really good question. Where's Mr Museum?

Size15's

Flashaholic
At SS2005 I purchased a "really bright" white ArcAAA, a "really bright" white PhotonII and already have a "really bright" SkunkLight SkyLight. They're all really bright with I believe the Photon being the brightest (at least so far on fresh batteries)

Langamer817

Newly Enlightened
Is it true that the LRI's x-light now uses the new nichia LEDS? It doesn't say on the site, But on Flash Light Reviews.com it does use them.

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Regarding bright 5mm white LEDs Seoul Semiconductors (SSC) has a new LED called LW510 that is bright as the Nichia NSPW500CS series but to a lot better price, see the link below for more information;
http://www.seoulsemicon.co.kr/_homepage/home_kor/product/spec/LW510.pdf

And here you have some life time information about the LW510;
http://www.optoga.se/general_newsdetail.jsp?id=0000000000000rr&lang=en_US

Regarding what type of colour of white to choose it depends on what you want.
Bright white LED = cold white
White LEDs with good CRI = warm white

Latest posts