What's a good 6V bulb for a cheap lantern light?

InfidelCastro

Banned
I bought a couple of Energizer Industrial 6V lanterns for my vehicles the other day on an impulse purchase. But I've always liked lantern lights because they're fairly bright, cheap and yet run such a long time on the huge 6V lantern batteries. I also bought a couple of alkaline 6V lantern batteries. Geez, those things aren't cheap anymore.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good bulbs for it. It's PR based. I don't really want to overdrive any bulbs though, because I'd like them to be reliable above all else. So I'm not really looking to stick a 3 cell bulb into it or something like that. I was just wondering what a bright 6V bulb out there is. But not ridiculous bright either, because I still want to keep the long runtime and obviously I'm not going to invest any further in the lights aside from the bulb.

pizzaman

Enlightened
It is a bit overdriven, but I have had very good results with the RadioShack XPR103 xenon bulb. Very white, very bright, and I have not had any instaflash. I don't know the total life span of these bulbs at 6V, but none of mine have died yet. They are inexpensive and readily available.

Also, many lanterns have a spot for a spare bulb behind the reflector. If not, you could tape a few spares in there.

If you want to play it conservative try the Maglight Mag-Num Star 4 cell xenon bulb. The output should be pleasing and the lifespan maximized.

Good luck, TR

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6V alkaline lantern batteries are expensive. Usually $6-$8. An excellent alternative is a 4D to lantern battery adapter. D cells have about the same runtime, are available anywhere and less than one third the cost.

Problem is finding them. In the past, I have bought some cheap RayOVac lanterns to get the 4D adapters.

Maybe someone on CPF knows a source for these adapters.

Mark

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked for adapters, to no avail.

I thought the Energizer 6V lantern bat used F-cells, which are 26,000mah?

Anyhoo, I like the cheapie lanterns as well. I which I could find one with a super-duper beam.
I tend to use Rayovac KPR 113's. They seem to be a good balance of brightness, reliability, beam and runtime.
The XPR113 is nice as well, being a bit brighter and whiter, but are far more expensive.

The Magnumstar is a goodie...but, it is somewhat expensive, and in my lanterns, produced an uglier beam than the KPR.

I am still looking for a good lantern with a Tec-40 or Surefire-like beam.
I have considered grafting a Tec-40 reflector (only $250 from Brightguy) into a lantern, or even using a P60!
I wonder how long a P60 would run from an Energizer F-cell 6v???

WhiteHot

Enlightened
I think that the GH24 from reflectalight is well suited for this application.

nelstomlinson

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good bulbs for it. It's PR based. I don't really want to overdrive any bulbs though, because I'd like them to be reliable above all else.
Everled, maybe? That'll make those expensive lantern batteries last!

Edit:

A nifty 6V lantern followed me home from the second hand store recently. I tried the Everled in it, and it works nicely. It's bright, with a decently smooth beam, lots of spill and a nice, tight hotspot. I'd guess the run time should be days and days, but at $13 per battery, I won't test it.

I also tried a 4-cell Magled. It gives a lousy beam! Obviously, the bulb doesn't stick up quite far enough into the reflector. There are big rings with a big hole in the center. It's brighter than the Everled, at least at first, and it lights up the wall of the house across the street. To make it fit, I had to remove the bulb holder, and just let the contact springs wedge the Magled in place. It's more secure than it sounds, I think.

Last edited: