Mag drop in's/2D lights

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is the consensis on these as far as brightness, throw tint etc?
I only have a 2D cell to try it in which never get's used. (Got my main "big" light, my 20 yr old magcharger that is plenty bright especially if I pop in the WA 1160 lamp in it.)

Good, bad, ugly? VDG

piper

Newly Enlightened
Well, I had a 2D mag that never was used and I bought a Mag drop-in for it. My take is that the bulb made the Mag usefull again. It is also hard to beat the price.

Others will say that the electronics hamper the bulb because as the bulb heats up the light gets dimmer to protect the emitter. This isn't a problem for 90% of Mag owners.

Mine is plenty bright, white (with a hint of a purple tint), will run for hours on 2D cells and throws quite well. What more could I ask for? My Mag 2D is now my emergency light ready to go the distance. Sure, there are brighter lights with nicer tints but not at the price these are going for.

These are good bulbs that will make any Mag 2D - 4D better and a simple and inexpensive way to get into the wild world of LED lighting.

I think these bulbs/lights are the beginning of the end for standard [size=-1]incandescent lights.
[/size]

mykall

Enlightened
Piper,

I've asked this on another thread but have yet to get an answer. Have you been able to compare the 2/3/4/ C/D Mag-led dropins to say Diamonds, or another brand like Terralux?

Does the Mag-led use a Lux? The package at Wally doesn't say.

Thanks

MB

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
mykall said:
Piper,

I've asked this on another thread but have yet to get an answer. Have you been able to compare the 2/3/4/ C/D Mag-led dropins to say Diamonds, or another brand like Terralux?

Does the Mag-led use a Lux? The package at Wally doesn't say.

Thanks

MB

Good question, I forgot to put that in my post, and had planned too. VDG

fleshlite

Banned
I have gotten a number of these conversions, 2 - 2D, 1- 3D, 1- 4D. The 4 D one I'm using in a 2D mag W/ FM 6AA holder W/ 1 dummy. The output is a little brighter but not much more. Haven't done any run time but this was so I can use rechargable on it as I do not yet have any Rechargables in D's. The 3D I gave to a LEO friend he loves it , the throw just keep going on and on.

chris.

Warp

Enlightened
Where in Walmart are you finding these conversion bulbs? I want to convert my stock 4D mag. I looked today, and asked an associate, but all I could come up with was the ~$33 2D 3W light.

Warp said:
Where in Walmart are you finding these conversion bulbs? I want to convert my stock 4D mag. I looked today, and asked an associate, but all I could come up with was the ~$33 2D 3W light.

Not every store stocks them just yet.

mykall

Enlightened
Yes as Handlo stated some may have them some may not. I'm forutunate to have about 5 Wallys within about a 15 mile radius. Most have them but most are also out of stock right at the moment.

I went ahead and bought the 3D pill at one of my stores for my car 3D Mag for $18. I put the pill in in the car at about 3pm and shined it at the gray interior and I was initially disappointed. I thought it looked kinda' purple and not very potent. I switched back to the Xenon and confirmed.

By night time I retrieved the flashlight from the car and tested it again. I'm very impressed. Not purple at all and very compact beam. One should never test an Led in daylight and form an opinion. Compared to my SL PPL and E1L this thing is a throw-monster. Both the E1L and PPL are good throwers in their own right, but they're really overshadowed by the Mag. This would be what we would expect from Mag, and what I'd want in my car.

I did not have the chance (I really only own 1 3D) to test this pill for LD throw against the Xenon. But as for switching them back and forth and shining at the top of a 60ft tall evergreen whose base is 40 yds from my back door the Led looks in step with the Xenon. I'd sure like to have 2 and test side by side in pitch darkness at a target even further away.

Does anyone know what the runtime of these would be?

MB

cslinger

Enlightened
Runtime for a 2D at full brightness, after the thermal regulation kicks in and dims the light a bit is at least 30 hours straight and then many more hours of "moon mode".

I would suspect the 3D to muster a solid 35-45 hour run.

Chris