help needed

Vinnie

Newly Enlightened
HI, I'm a night time delivery driver and enter dark stores and alleys every nite. I already use a 3D led mag lite along with a mini mag, and I'm looking for a small lite to carry on my belt. I want to able to blind some one if I think trouble is coming. I often enter the back of stores an use my mini mag to locate the light switch. A few times drunks approached me but nothing series occured and need a lite to get out bad situations. I'll still use my 3d led mag for times where I need a lite for repairs, because my company will supply D cell batteries. I want a small brite lite for around $150 or $200 including batteries. Thanks Vinnie

leduk

Enlightened
Not 'aholic enough for the light but if you're in and out of your truck a lot.
Is there a dash mountable rechargeable solution ?
Streamlight SL-20X /Stinger?
Inova T4.

Cheers

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Vinnie!

Surefire E2D. Small and bright with a strike bezel. Before anybody goes off on a rant about using this thing without training hear me out, I personally would shine and run like hell. But if corned it is better than nothing.

If having to deal with lamp assemblies is not your thing, maybe a L2 or L4? They are really good indoor lights IMHO.

For a rechargable option perhaps a Streamlight Strion?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Vinnie!!

Since you're using your light(s) every night, a rechargeable light will save you some major bucks in the long run. The Pila GL3 is a favorite around here: built like tanks, they can use rechargeable li-ions and primary lithiums (CR123's), and they have optional LED tailcaps (for when you don't need a full blast of very bright light). Another alternative would be the Streamlight Strion. Also rechargeable (but uses a +- proprietary li-ion battery pack), small, and bright. You can buy either of these with car chargers to keep in your rig and they're small enough you can carry in your pocket or in a holster (neither has clips for pocket carry).

Some of the smaller SureFire (SF) lights are nice as well: L4 is obscenely bright and small, the L2 is slightly larger but has 2 stages (low and high), the A2 has LEDs (for low light) and a bright incandescent lamp (for lots of light). The disadvantage of these is that the rechargeable battery options are limited. You could, however, try one of SF's rechargeable lights: a Nitrolon Commander (8NX), or the aluminum version (8AX) - with chargers these may be out of your price range.

In any case, check out the "CPF Specials" thread for links to reputable dealers who offer lower prices to CPF'ers. jsburlys.com is my preferred place for Pila products, and OpticsHQ for all things SF.

I can almost promise you won't use your 3D Mag after you try these lights. :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
Unless you enjoy paying for batteries, you're gonna have to stay away from 99% of what's suggested to you here.

Streamlight makes a lot of lights. They get my "best value" endorsement, but they are far from cheap.

I give you a second vote for the strion. It is only slightly bigger than your minimag, but puts out a ton of light. It comes with car and home chargers. Since it uses a lithium battery, you can recharge at will without having to worry about battery maintenance or voltage depression.

I think you can get an ac/dc strion for about $90-110 mail order. Call www.brightguy.com for pricing. They are a great distributor.

I am sure that there's also a belt holster for the strion out there somewhere.

Excellent light. 1-1.25 hour battery life. Good bulb life, and bulbs aren't expensive like the surefire bulbs.