Headlamp users as cavers? NSS members

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering who some of the headlamp using CPFers are that are also NSS members.

Last edited:

Beaker

Newly Enlightened
(Raises hand)

I greatly covet a Stenlight after having seen one in use recently, but it's overkill for my modest caving needs -- a PT Apex is completely adequate.

But if I win the lottery (or my company's stock triples) I'm *definitely* gonna get a Sten :)

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm a member... Charlottesville, VA grotto.

Primary caving headlamp is Pelican 2630 (modded w/TW0J HD emitter), which I'm extremely happy with.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
BATS Grotto, Fredericksburg VA

Primary: Stenlight S7
Backups: Tikka+, EOS, Inova XO, CMG Ultra, PT Solo with SMJLED, ArcAAA

WhitingsNeckS.jpg

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not NSS member, but for caving I use a prototype, just one Luxeon III, with a custom reflector. Direct drive (resistored) NiMH 3,6 V

Ocelot

Newly Enlightened
I've been an NSS member for 24 years.

I've been caving for the last 3 years with a LuxeonV headlamp that uses a full-custom boost current regulator with continuous brightness control, with the Luxeon mounted on a CPU heatsink so that I can run at full power for extended periods of time if I need it.

I chose a boost regulator because it normally runs at lower power anyway, mostly negating the efficiency advantages of a buck regulator. In addition, I can then use (at a minimum) 2C/AA cells in a pinch. I can do all of my normal caving and expedition caving with 4AA NiMH or 4AA lithium batteries.

When a new Luxeon (or equivalent) comes out which is substantially better, I'll probably design another one.

Scott

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responces. I have been a missing person with alot of disasters hitting back to back. I will soon have time to come out here more often.

The reason I was wondering if any of you were organized cavers is this. I have been showing a reflectored Stenlight and people who have seen it in action have been trying to buy the prototype from me.

I was hoping that when the stenlight gets mentioned, If you can tell them that I will will have a reflectored version of it and will have reflectors to install in older units. I want to use revenue from this to create a tiny supplemental light for cavers to go along with it.

Thanks
Jon