WHOA! Check out my KL1/2AA MiniMag mod! You'll love it!

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
So I destroyed a KL1 head a while back trying to mod it and had all these parts laying around. I also have this TLE-5 Ministar2 Lux in a 2AA minimag that I like to fool with. Like a flash of lightning, the idea came to me of putting the optic from the KL1 in the minimag to tight up the beam and make it appear brighter.

IT WORKS!!! First the parts. You'll need the TLE-5 Ministar2 Lux module, the KL1 optic ( which suprisingly is PLASTIC! ), a 2AA minimag, and the rubber hex gaurd for the 2aa minimag. Below is a pic that shows the reflector, bezel ring and lens with the other parts.

magkl1mod0017et.jpg

Of course the TLE-5 module should be installed and working. Next, unscrew the stock bezel-lens holder and remove. Then simply drop the optic onto the head. NOTE: it does NOT fit in the head or lens holder ring. Its' slightly too big. You can grind down the sides if you want and see if it will work. I haven't tried. LEAVE THE O-RING THAT'S ON THE THREAD AREA OF THE HEAD ON. Anyway, heres a pic of the optic sitting in the head.
magkl1mod0021ys.jpg

Finally, take the other o-ring thats' inside the stock lens retainer ring (bezel screw down thing) and put inside the rubber hex guard. This will add some extra sealling. Then push the rubber hex guard over the head and optic. The o-ring that is there on the head-thread area should provide a good amount of resistance. I'm not saying its water proof, but it should be ok for light splashes, etc.

Thats it! Now turn it on, turn the head to get your desired spot or flood pattern and enjoy your seemingly brighter and improved 2AA minimag/TLE-5 Ministar2 combo! Some beamshots for your viewing pleasure. Shots were roughly 3ft from a white door.
The cons are that its' not water tight and the optic sticks out and is subject to getting scratched.
EXTRA TIP: I put a double layer strip of electrical tape around the head before putting the rubber hex guard on, make a much better, tighter fit.
magkl1mod0046de.jpg

magkl1mod0058es.jpg

Last edited:

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
On a related note, I have a new KL1 head on the way, (should be here tomorrow) and I will compare them and update the opening post. I'm pretty sure the real KL1 will be brighter but it will still be interesting to see...

Last edited:

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
MayCooper said:
nice!

do you know the diameter and thickness of the optic? it might fit in a bezel from a ledean cr2 miniminimag, as it has been bored to accept a 20mm reflector....

Not offhand. I also wonder if its possible to get the optic separately from some source...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!

I've always wanted a minimag with a blindingly bright beam - but my ideal would be one which would narrow the focus down and down until the light lases!!! Whoa - brightness and the ability to vaporize the opposition! (Well, I was reading 'Ringworld' when I bought my first Minimag :lolsign:)

Nice mod!

Be lucky...

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
Heres' two comparison beamshots between this and a "real" KL1 that just came in today. The KL1 is on the right and as you can see is considerably brighter than the mag mod.
magkl1mod0064jy.jpg

magkl1mod0081xc.jpg

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
I also put glow-paint on the inside of the head. Gives a cool glow that the optics really lets you see.

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
This has become the perfect Bail-Out-Bag/disaster light. One Energizer e2 lithiums, it will give about 6hrs of good light.