Changed LED on Fenix P1, not working now. *update- working now*

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened
I managed to get the LED and circut unscrewed from the head of the Fenix P1. It was working just fine. . . . Tonight, I went to change out the LED, . . . didn't use much heat at all in the soldering iron (15 watt), and just touched it enough to get the solder liquid enough to attach the leads. . . . . now it doesn't work at all. It's obviously something internal, but I have no way to find that out.

What should I do??? :banghead: :hairpull:

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened
Re: Changed LED on Fenix P1, . . not working now.

Make sure you've eliminated things as simple as putting the diode in backwards.

Also, don't confuse the soldering iron wattage with temperature. Holding a 15 watt iron on a solder joint long enough to liquify the solder (especially with cheap tips that don't conduct heat uniformly) can heat the joint up significantly more than using a 90 watt iron that can rapidly bring it to a temperature appropriate for the job.

I happen to use a 50 watt temperature controlled ESD safe Weller solder station.

A decent soldering station and grounded work area go a long way towards ensuring good results.

thezman

Enlightened

Obvious question, but, are you sure you connected the led correctly. The short + post on the led has a small hole in it.

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened

thezman said:
Obvious question, but, are you sure you connected the led correctly. The short + post on the led has a small hole in it.

Not on the LED I got. Both posts are short and stubby with no holes. It's a UXOJW.

As far as the solder, I touched it for less than two seconds or so. I'm just not sure what to do.

I wonder if anyone would be able to fix it. :(

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened

Magnetic said:
Not on the LED I got. Both posts are short and stubby with no holes. It's a UXOJW.

As far as the solder, I touched it for less than two seconds or so. I'm just not sure what to do.

I wonder if anyone would be able to fix it. :(
If no holes + is longer

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened

Update:

I got it working. It was two different things, one partly my fault (at least I think) and the other one the fault of the positive wire.

Firstly, I snipped about half of the flat part of the LED leads (both sides) because they were long enough to perhaps both be spanning the diameter of the module and shorting it out. However, even with the original LED installed (has even more snipped leads), it still wasn't coming on.

Secondly, I pulled out about 3mm of the red wire (coming out of the module) up out of the hole and it began working. Not sure if it was making contact with something else in there or what (since I can't see in and don't know the layout of the module), but as it is now, it's working again.

Just to put in a plug for Photonfanatic, the UXOJW I got from him has about the best "near pure white" color rendition of any LED I have!! A much better color than the blue-ish original LED. :thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks for the help. :)

Magnetic said:
Update:

I got it working. It was two different things, one partly my fault (at least I think) and the other one the fault of the positive wire.

Firstly, I snipped about half of the flat part of the LED leads (both sides) because they were long enough to perhaps both be spanning the diameter of the module and shorting it out. However, even with the original LED installed (has even more snipped leads), it still wasn't coming on.

Secondly, I pulled out about 3mm of the red wire (coming out of the module) up out of the hole and it began working. Not sure if it was making contact with something else in there or what (since I can't see in and don't know the layout of the module), but as it is now, it's working again.

Just to put in a plug for Photonfanatic, the UXOJW I got from him has about the best "near pure white" color rendition of any LED I have!! A much better color than the blue-ish original LED. :thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks for the help. :)

If I were you, I'd check the integrity of the wire insulation. If it shorts to the body, them batteries might get burning hot.

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened

Handlobraesing said:
If I were you, I'd check the integrity of the wire insulation. If it shorts to the body, them batteries might get burning hot.

As I said, I can't get into the module itself, and the insulation outside of the hole looks alright, no stray wires or anything. I just did a short run of it and the battery is cool to the touch still. May have to run it a bit longer to check for sure.

thezman

Enlightened
Having only installed Lux I's, I had no idea that Lux III's didn't have a hole in the + lead. I went and checked my UWOJ Lux III star, and sure enough there was no hole. :ohgeez:

Thanks to your thread, I learned something new today. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it working.

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened
thezman said:
Having only installed Lux I's, I had no idea that Lux III's didn't have a hole in the + lead. I went and checked my UWOJ Lux III star, and sure enough there was no hole. :ohgeez:

Thanks to your thread, I learned something new today. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it working.

You're welcome. . . and thanks. I'm glad I got it working too. :clap: