Tektite LPR-2 Luxeon LED bulb dimmer than SMJLED

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, i read that that the SMJLED was brighter also. It was mentioned by someone that compared the two on one of the SMJLED threads. For $9 it's a deal! The next closest deal is a genuine MAG LED 2 cell C/D bulb for $18.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I bought the screw base (LS233) version, since there are no screw base SMJLEDs yet, and am very dissapointed. I had heard they were rather under driven, but I didn't think they would be dimmer than the SMJLEDs. I really think that even with dummy cells you will get more light (and I suspect runtime) using the PR based SMJLEDS. I have bought about twenty SMJLEDS so far and am putting them in everything with a PR based socket.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for confirmation so far...

Tektite PR2 at higher volts:

2.4v...250ma
3.0v...380ma
3.6v...670ma
4.5v...790ma

Can't say there's much difference in output as input voltage goes up.

Only used higher voltages for few seconds to measure current, others warn of burnout.

However, see my previous thread on SMJLED Bi-pin, overdriven, comparable to over 1 watt Luxeon in output, not failed yet

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120259

looks like the Tektite PR2 will be relegated to 2nd Division..

Fortunately I only paid $12 second hand for it.

20 mins use prior.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the SMJLED PR bulbs ($6.66) are extraordinarily efficient. They appear to generate about as much light drawing 120 mA at 3V as the Fenix L1P does drawing 700 mA (?) at 1.5V, or about 3x the efficiency. They have pretty good lumen maintenance, too.

For me, these SMJLED's kill any consideration for another type of drop in LED bulb, at least at 3V. I even made an 87 cent 1xCR123 host for the SMJLED bulb.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

Even though the Tektite is measurably dimmer than the SMJLED, subjectively, indoors anyway, it does appear brighter to the eye at night.

This is because, althought the centre spot is dimmer, overall the flood beam is more consistently brighter than the SMJLED, filling a room with more light.

The very poor beam in daylight, is totally different at night, a transformation.

So, my opinion changes for indoor use.

Main problem now with the Tektite is that the bulb lens is so wide, it won't fit into some of my torches...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Update:

Even though the Tektite is measurably dimmer than the SMJLED, subjectively, indoors anyway, it does appear brighter to the eye at night.

This is because, althought the centre spot is dimmer, overall the flood beam is more consistently brighter than the SMJLED, filling a room with more light...
The SMJLED PR bulb will also exhibit different characteristics, depending on the flashlight you put it into. In a Tec-20, it puts out a VERY wide, even flood type beam with a tiny hotspot which - as you said - fills rooms (and small backyards) at night. I don't have a Tektite to compare it to, but the SMJLED puts out a lot of light and is no slouch as a floodlight.

Yes, what can I say? I'm a (an?) SMJLED PR fan....:)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the Tectite to have better overall output but does not focus properly. By the time I put satin scoth tape over the lens to smoth out the beam I got a BIG blob of light with limited throw (maybe 10 feet). I like the warmer white colour.
The SMJLED PR focus properly in every light I've tried it in. In a torch with a tight focus it throws maybe 60 feet. 2 of mine are a cool white while the third is quite blue - like overdriven nichias.
In RayOvac 2 in 1 area/flashlight the LPR2 is clearly brighter in area mode.