Newbie question - what is the best LED light

tarsier

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an EDC LED light was looking at the Surefire L2 didn't know if theis is a good light or what would be comparable.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

zulu45

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great LED lights out there, so which would be best for you depends on a great number of things. You've already stated that it's for EDC, so I'm guessing it should be compact. Still, to suggest a light, it would be helpful to know some things.

-What kind of battery (batteries) should the light use?
-How bright does it need to be?
-How much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I EDC a Fenix L2P and a Fenix P1, and they work out great. They're both available from 4sevens at Fenix-Store.com at great prices, with fast shipping.

A great place to find out about flashlights is http://www.flashlightreviews.com/.

If you want something a bit less than the Fenix lights, the Dorcy Super 1 Watt is a great choice. I've EDCed it for a while, and it has never let me down. It's available at Target for only $20.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF tarsier.

Best is different things to different people. Do you mean brightest for handtorch size? brightest for small (finger) sized lights? brightest for small (fingertip) sized? Are you looking for a narrow, far reaching beam (spot) or wider area (flood) beam?

Do you care about run time or do you want the maximum output possible?

Are the high end features of HAIII hard anodization, anti-reflective (AR) mineral glass or sapphire "lenses", colors, etc. important to you? Are you looking at a $100 price, $200, $500, or more (If above $500, indeed WELCOME...:grin2:)? or are you looking less than $50? less than $30? whichever...

For a review of many types of lights, you might try looking here or here.

Stay a while and enjoy.

tarsier

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF Z3 and a SF E2 - would maybe like to convert them to LED - also would like a 2 stage tailcap - would also love a Ti body - I saw some of the flashlights in different threads and find myself green with envy.

The 123 batteries are fine. Looking for something pretty bright.

hope this helps and thanks!

SCblur

Enlightened
If you already have an E2, then you can easily upgrade it to LED by adding a KL1 or KL4 LED head from Surefire. the KL1 is a tight spot of light that runs for about 3 hours in regulation, and the KL4 is a wall of light similar to the L2 that runs for an hour in regulation. Both are great heads, it just depends on your needs and applications. Check out the afformentioned flashlightreviews.com for reviews of these. Also, you stated that you are looking for a two-stage tailcap. Keep an eye out in the B/S/T forum for a McGizmo McE2s switch. It is a two-stage tailcap that will work with the E-series SF lights using LED heads. Great combo, but the tailcap has been discontinued, so the best bet for finding on is to watch for them here on B/S/T.

since you stated you are looking for an EDC light, I might also recommend the HDS EDC lights. I just picked up a HDS Basic42 XRGT from batterystation, on sale for $99. Most people who buy these are very happy with them. There are numerous options out there, these are just a couple near and dear to my heart. Good luck in your search.

tarsier

Newly Enlightened
ok - thanks - I just purchased a KL4 led conversion head and a click on tail cap, not a two stage but it should be ok for now. Any suggestions for the Z3?

thanks.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello tarsier:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

The best LED light is the light which is bright enough for your uses, with a runtime you are looking for and accessible everytime you will need it.:)

Best regards

____
Tom