Lumileds Sets LED Luminance Records

metalhed

Enlightened
I just posted the press release to my site...it looks like we will see higher and higher LED efficiencies in the coming months and years. It's nice that, at least in the lab, incandescent technologies like halogen car lights are falling to the superiority of LEDs. :thumbsup:

Philips Lumileds Sets LED Luminance Records

Can you say 'smaller and brighter'? I knew you could. :laughing:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait till they can figure a way to use these LEDs in laptops as either backlighting or maybe this technology can carry over in to OLEDs for displays.

Can you say 8 hour laptop on a single battery and 16 hours with 2 batteries. :naughty:

havand

Enlightened
tebore said:
I can't wait till they can figure a way to use these LEDs in laptops as either backlighting or maybe this technology can carry over in to OLEDs for displays.

Can you say 8 hour laptop on a single battery and 16 hours with 2 batteries. :naughty:

Yup, but i can also say 'requires $1k solidstate harddrive..... :awman:

lightrod

Enlightened
Sounds exciting but I do not know how to interpret the quoted performance statistics in the article - no idea of what that might mean to us. Is there any useful info there as far as output improvement potential compared to current LED's? :anyone:

Sounds like it's only in the lab right now - no info on availability. Might be years away from production. Man do we have to be patient - clearly don't get the steady improvements we've come to expect in consumer electronics.

Here's to the next lighting technology step change, whenever it my occur! :buddies:

GregWormald

Enlightened
As much as I love the high intensity and low power consumption of LED flashlights I really hope someone is working out how to produce a "real" white light rather than that 2-lobed spectroscopic monstrosity that only looks white.

stamat

Newly Enlightened
GregWormald said:
As much as I love the high intensity and low power consumption of LED flashlights I really hope someone is working out how to produce a "real" white light rather than that 2-lobed spectroscopic monstrosity that only looks white.
Agreed!

havand

Enlightened
What do you mean? How are they not 'white' if they're at a certain wavelength? I'm not being a smartass, i'm actually asking.

aceo07

Enlightened
tebore said:

There is already a laptop manufacturer that uses LED as backlight currently in production. I can't remember the company, but it's not a small company.

mahoney

Enlightened
"White" light, the short answer:

Real white light consists of all the wavelengths across the visible spectrum. All the colors of the rainbow as it were.

White light as produced by LEDs consists of some blue light and enough light in the orange/yellow spectrum (produced by a phosphor excited by the blue light) to make your eye think it's seeing white light. The color rendering of certain colored objects under "white" light from LEDs can leave a lot to be desired.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
aceo07 said:
There is already a laptop manufacturer that uses LED as backlight currently in production. I can't remember the company, but it's not a small company.

You must find this out for me! :drool: Last I heard it was only in the prototyping stages.

Leef

Enlightened
Mahoney, thanx for that explanation. I had a sorta vague idea that something like that was going on, but no facts. I assume you're correct.