100 Lumen Rated SF vs. HDS 60

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
Is the 100 Lumen output rating from SF, such as on the L2 or L4, realistic? - I have a HDS EDC U60 XRGT - would either the L2 or L4 with 100 rated lumens obviously (40%) outshine the HDC which is rated at 60 Lumens max?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, both ratings are accurate. The SFs will outflood the U60 which has a moderate "hot spot" with bright corona. L4 & L2 = flood. U60 can throw more.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
Is there a Surefire LED that could be equated to a HDS 60 on steroids - even if it is somewhat larger? I guess what I am asking is, what LED lights obviously and substantially out throw, and produce more light than, the HDS 60 (excluding those with multiple LEDs - I know my ELX-6 can do it) :)

I LOVE my HDS 60. I would like to get a single LED torch that SUBSTANTIALLY outperforms it, if such a thing exists - larger form factor not a problem.

Thanks!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
skalomax said:
Wouldnt the E1L,E2L,L1 all outhrow the HDS because the Optics. Also the New KL3 will Destroy the HDS in throw.

in stock for, the Kl1 does not outthrow the U60. the gen 1.5 Kl3 does(which I have), not sure about the newest version of the Kl3 though.

I sent my Kl1 to CM to boost the current to 1amp and now it out throws the U60 very easily.....

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
The E2e is "brighter" than the HDS - I was comparing them recently, though they are so different (E2e being Incan) and is not what I am really asking about.

I doubt the KL1 can out-shine the HDS, but I don't have one on hand to compare. Regarding the KL3 - I have no experience with that head, but it is rated at....19 lumens? Is this right? How does it kill the 60 lumen HDS?

Also, I'm looking for a significantly higher output and throw, not a minor improvement.

Last edited:

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
270winchester said:
optics have come a long way my friend....

I'm not unfamiliar with optics. I generally prefer lights without optics, and am considering converting my Stenlight to a new reflector and no optics. That said, if the KL3 is putting out 19 lumens and the optics are responsible for throwing those 19 lumens really far - whoopie. I have a cheapo River Rock with optics that can put a circle of light way the heck out there - no spill at all and more or less useless for my purposes (I know - the RR is junk compared to any SF, but you get my point. :naughty: )

How about 100 lumens + output + throw = HDS EDC 60 + 40% more. Who am I?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindspot said:
I'm not unfamiliar with optics. I generally prefer lights without optics, and am considering converting my Stenlight to a new reflector and no optics. That said, if the KL3 is putting out 19 lumens and the optics are responsible for throwing those 19 lumens really far - whoopie. I have a cheapo River Rock with optics that can put a circle of light way the heck out there - no spill at all and more or less useless for my purposes (I know - the RR is junk compared to any SF, but you get my point. :naughty: )

How about 100 lumens + output + throw = HDS EDC 60 + 40% more. Who am I?

did you miss my recommendation of L5, L6 and L7?

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
270winchester said:
did you miss my recommendation of L5, L6 and L7?

Nope - those were the ones I came up with as well by just reviewing claimed lumen output and so forth. I haven't seen a review of the L6 or L7, but the output and throw stats on the L5 are not substantially greater than the EDC-60.

Of course, that may not mean much, and the L5 might obviously outperform the EDC 60 in a comparison test.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The New Surefire L1 throws the same as the HDS 60 both rated at around 38. The Kl3 throws 53.00 Which is about the same throw as a M2 with a P60. The KL1 module throws 36 and the KL1 with 2 cell throws 40. KL3 pure throw monster.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindspot said:
Is there a Surefire LED that could be equated to a HDS 60 on steroids - even if it is somewhat larger? I guess what I am asking is, what LED lights obviously and substantially out throw, and produce more light than, the HDS 60 (excluding those with multiple LEDs - I know my ELX-6 can do it) :)

I LOVE my HDS 60. I would like to get a single LED torch that SUBSTANTIALLY outperforms it, if such a thing exists - larger form factor not a problem.

Thanks!

It's apples and oranges, but if you want a non-multiple LED that has more than double lux (throw) of the HDS 60, try the LED Logic Striker VG. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a two cell (E2e) package, the KL1 with optics will probably out throw the HDS60. A KL1 can be modified to really out perform the HDS60 if you modify the circuit and boost the current to the LED to 700mA. The increase in output is 25% and while small (less than 1dB), it is noticeable and measurable. Some people opt for driving the lux at 1A which is around 50% increase. This should result in around 50% increase in output which is about a 1.8dB in increase which you can definitely perceive. Going higher will get you past the point of diminishing returns.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
CM said:
In a two cell (E2e) package, the KL1 with optics will probably out throw the HDS60. A KL1 can be modified to really out perform the HDS60 if you modify the circuit and boost the current to the LED to 700mA. The increase in output is 25% and while small (less than 1dB), it is noticeable and measurable. Some people opt for driving the lux at 1A which is around 50% increase. This should result in around 50% increase in output which is about a 1.8dB in increase which you can definitely perceive. Going higher will get you past the point of diminishing returns.

Hi CM - I would be interested in having a mod done on the KL1 or other. Do you still do these types of mods? Please PM me if so and we can discuss.

Thanks.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindspot said:
Nope - those were the ones I came up with as well by just reviewing claimed lumen output and so forth. I haven't seen a review of the L6 or L7, but the output and throw stats on the L5 are not substantially greater than the EDC-60.

to quote QUickbeam's review, the U60XR scored a 44 on overall output while the L5 scored 60. That's 33% higher than the U60, or is that too small of a difference?

The newer L5s are rumored to be brighter than the average L5 from a few years anyway.