Why does the KL3 have a longer runtime than the KL1?

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
Aren't they the same inside? I could've sworn they were both Lux3's driven at 1.5W with the same regulations circuitry. But the runtime plots over at flashlightreviews.com shows the KL1 at 2hr51min regulated and the KL3 at 3hr40min regulated - just about an hour longer! Kinda puzzled over this. Not that I'm complaining about my brand new KL1, it rocks.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have different electronics in the inside as far as i know.

-David

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you look at flashlilghtreviews output specs for KL1 and KL3 you will see that the output is lower for the KL3, and is probably not driven as hard. Also, you will notice on Surefire's web site that they have not changed the original lumen output specs for the KL3 for about 4 years.

Bill

dragoman

Enlightened
I always thought a KL1 is a 1 watt and a KL3 is a 3 watt?

Or is it just the KL1 is for E series and KL3 is for P series?

dragoman

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 and the KL3 certainly do not have the same insides. To begin with, they are made for different lights. They both do use 3 watt LEDs, but I believe the KL3 is a Buck driver only. At least that is the way it is portrayed by surefire. (2x123 and up) Since the KL3 can use 3 batteries it can have longer runtimes.

BBL

Enlightened
those are the facts i gathered from around cpf:

KL1 vs KL3:

- same led
- same current (500mA)
- same throw (KL3 gen2 revision3, i know that first-hand)
- different circuit (KL1 buck/boost, KL3 buck only)

nc987

Enlightened
ID argue the KL3 throws farther. I have the E1L, E2L and a L1 and my KL3 will out throw each one of them. It out throws every other light I own except for my HF HID of course and my M3T-CB

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
On the throw issue, The KL3 does indeed slightly out throw the KL1. I had a new style KL3 a while back and it sported a slightly tighter beam than the KL1. I'm speaking of the the latest versions of both heads. I don't think its a dramatic difference, but noticeable.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The latest gen KL3 has a frezel style lens. Looks like same TIR optic with frezel added. It will probably not throw as far as the Gen 2 with TIR and no frezel effect.

Bill

Latest posts