How to increase output

Leef

Enlightened
I have an Aleph 2 head w/2xCR123 batts. It has a Wiz2 converter with unknown LED. Engraved on converter holder is "NW2 530" It draws 300mA at the battery.

It's not very bright. What's the best way to goose it up? New LED? New converter? New...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
use r123s, change led to k2.... maybe find some optics that will fit (wont change output, just add throw)... thats all i can think of.

-David

Leef

Enlightened
Oh -- I forgot to mention that "3-6v" is also engraved on the housing. So wouldn't RCRs be too much voltage?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leef said:
Oh -- I forgot to mention that "3-6v" is also engraved on the housing. So wouldn't RCRs be too much voltage?

ok, r123s wont work then

-David

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
You can use any of AW's rechargeable cells.....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97268

I have 2x 14670 for my L2. 1000mA draw on high I think, get 45min w/cooling.
Also 2x 18650 for my U2. Awesome runtime on that 1+ hr!! I'm not sure on the draw but must be around the same. Just make sure your converter will work with protected cells? I don't know anything about those Aleph's, but 4.2v fresh off the charger should drive it. 3.6v is enough to drive most LED lights that take 2 cells. Keep in mind, none of my lights have the same step up/down boards, just regulation.

If none of these cells work, keep searching! They make all kinds of rechargeable cells out there, for just about any project.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Seems to me the easiest would be just to make a whole new Light Engine.

I made one for my Aleph 1 consisting of a NG1000/UX1J running off 1 RCR123 and it's very bright.

Since you will be using 2 cells, I suppose a DownBoy running a U-bin LED at 1000ma would be just about the brightest you could get. I wouldn't mind building one for you...pm me if you're interested.