Mini mag lite 2XAAA Upgrades?

dasanii19

Enlightened
Are there any upgrades for a Mini mag 2XAAA flashlight? The Mini mag I have is an older version I think. I just had one laying around and thought it would be cool to throw in some upgraded lamp or some other upgrades.

Anyone have any suggestions?

dasanii19

Enlightened
Here are some pictures of it, I know its a cheapy but am still curious if I can make it "better"

DSC02006.jpg

DSC02005.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
led-replacement.com sells a LED drop-in that works in the Soli and the 2AAA minimag. We're also waiting on Lambda to release his version... :popcorn:

dasanii19

Enlightened
LOL, im pretty new to the whole flash light scene. I had this little mini mag for years. I just did a little research on the mag lite website, it showed me things about this light I had no idea it could do or that it had, like the candle mode, and the spare bulb it had in the tail cap. I mean the light output and flood, hot spot and so on doesnt seem that great. Thats why I was kinda asking about a upgraded lamp for it or any other after market parts I might be able to put on it. I think that candle mode will work real well for a "camping tent reading light" I was actually in the market for one, but now that I know about this, no need to buy another..:)

dasanii19

Enlightened
greenLED said:
led-replacement.com sells a LED drop-in that works in the Soli and the 2AAA minimag. We're also waiting on Lambda to release his version... :popcorn:

Is the LED a nice upgrade? I mean what will I notice? run time? more flood? hot spot? throw?

Whats this lambda all about?

Thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
dasanii19 said:
Is the LED a nice upgrade? I mean what will I notice? run time? more flood? hot spot? throw?

Whats this lambda all about?

Thanks
Lambda's flashlights site

I've never used one of the other drop-ins from led-replacement. IIRC, they were better than the stock bulb (what isn't?), but the beam was not spectacular compared to a Lux. Search for posts by led-replacement.com - there might even be a review somewhere.

As far as the drop-in sold by lambda, it's actually an MJ (ArcMania) creation, IIRC. Search for trueblue's posts and you'll find it.

dasanii19

Enlightened
So what setup would you get or did you get? Would you wait for the Lambda to come out?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
led-replacement. actually got 2 upgrades for the AAA minimag.
http://www.led-replacement.com/2aaa_mini-mag.html
The TLE-20 is fairly bright but produces a rather ugly yellow corona around the hotspot. I expect the Tectite LT-2 to be dimmer.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-10.htm

You can also buy a MJLED/SMJLED and drill out your reflector to fit. Instructions on the Lambda link. If buying from the Shoppe make sure you get the CUT version.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_52_82

IMPORTANT NOTE
The Tectite LT-2 and MJLED/SMJLED (raw LED) are for the 2AAA minimag.
The Tectite LT-3 and Lambda's Mag Solitaire LED Bulb are for the Solitaire.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
dasanii19

Try the smjled upgrade its cheap and it will be way brighter,way better runtime too!Look up wahwang led,if you just need one let me know,I just got a couple and could spare one if you need it.Id go ahead and buy a few ,they are fun to experiment with.

Pm me if you want one.

dasanii19

Enlightened
Paul6ppca said:
dasanii19

Try the smjled upgrade its cheap and it will be way brighter,way better runtime too!Look up wahwang led,if you just need one let me know,I just got a couple and could spare one if you need it.Id go ahead and buy a few ,they are fun to experiment with.

Pm me if you want one.

Do you have the SMJLED, super clear mineral glass front lens and reflector? or just the SMJLED?

Thanks

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just the smjled,it is the wahwang which is a clone?Do a search is appears to be the same as smjled.

leduk

Enlightened
Apologies. I read 2AA not 2AAA.

I have just put a Terralux TLE-20 into a 2AAA and I'm very pleased.
It was from Shoreline Marketing (CPF fellow).

Cheers.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I found LEDs the AAA minimag was my leather jacket pocket light. When I found LEDs it was kind of put to the side and not used. Then I put an MJLED in it and it increased output and gave over 30 hours runtime on a set of batteries. This gave new life to the little light and now it is kept near the bed for midnight trips. The SMJLED would also work, it would even be a bit brighter probably, but with slightly shorter runtime.

It took maybe 10 minutes to replace because the reflector had to be drilled to 1/4 inch.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Terralux TLE-10 its not as good as hyped up to be,
it has a very blue/yellow tint.
I would go fo the Lambda SMJLED kit as its much better and much better value than the Terralux I'm very pleased with mine

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
thread necromancy, but anybody know of a premade switch for the AAA minimag? Don't really feel like making my own, but will if I have to...